Pastor – Student Ministry (Gr 9-12)
Classification: Full-Time –Exempt
[Licensed Minister of the Gospel]
Ministry Area: Next Generation Ministries
WESTWOOD’S PURPOSE AND VISION: We exist to honor God by enjoying Him through reaching people with the love of Jesus Christ.
We demonstrate God’s love in creative and compelling ways that lead people to know God, worship Him authentically, connect relationally, grow spiritually, and serve joyfully. We are a community with open hands, receiving from God all He wants to give, believing
that He wants to give us a lot. And with open hands we give it away, believing we cannot out-give God.
MINISTRY AREA PURPOSE: The Next Generation Ministry exists to partner with parents to help children and students (birth through college) become followers of Jesus, know they are loved by God, empowered by His Spirit and called to share Jesus with the world
ROLE: Lead, direct and implement the High School Student Ministry [Grades 9-12].
• Serve as a Pastor at-large of Westwood Community Church participating in, but not limited to, staff meetings, retreats, and all church functions, pastoral care and counsel, teaching, officiating church ordinance as assigned, weddings and funerals.
• Participate in the Pastor-on-Call rotation.
• Live a life that honors God in heart, actions and relationships, with the goal of becoming more like Him, through servant leadership.
• Establish program direction and content to engage students, grades 9-12, in a committed walk of faith in Jesus Christ.
• Participate and collaborate with staff peers implementing Westwood mission and the Here, Near & Far vision, taking it into the community
• Design ministries and programming for multiplication across campuses
• Partner with other youth leaders at various campuses on program, camps, trips and retreats
• In partnership with volunteers, minister to students by being present in their schools and community activities
• Recruit, develop and engage lay leadership with the Worship, Belong, Serve and Go model of ministry.
• Collaborate with Kids Ministry and Student Ministry to create and apply a Next Gen strategy: forming a continuous and cross-linked whole that prepares the church’s next generation to follow Jesus.
• Provide teaching ministry at the invitation of the Sr. Pastor or in other venues as appropriate and approved.
• Assist in the development of the annual ministry plan through creation of objectives and budgets, then oversee the responsible stewarding of those resources.
• Support a multiplication model of ministry.
• Align to and live out the Westwood Staff Values:
o We Live & Breathe Jesus
o We > Me
o We Are Developers
o We Bring Our Best
o We Are Always Improving
• Serve on leadership teams, work groups, and carry out other responsibilities as assigned by Next Gen Pastor or Executive Director.
• Reports to Pastor-Student Ministries
• Oversees ministry area volunteers
• Works in cooperation with other pastor/director staff
• Interacts with other staff and congregation
• Partners with leaders for youth ministry at campuses
• Bachelor’s degree (required) and Seminary or Graduate degree appropriate for the role (required or pursuing)
• Minimum three years direct ministry leadership experience in a multiple staff setting (preferred)
• Ability to teach and preach the Word of God effectively
• Ability to attract, equip, and mobilize volunteers for lay leadership and ministry team participation
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to develop, supervise and coach employees in the ministry area
• Ability to lead in program design and implementation relevant to ministry area
• Ability to integrate with the rest of the church ministry
• Ability to lead through a transformational model
• Ability to relate to other Westwood staff and church attenders at large
• Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner
• Endorse and support Westwood’s Statement of Faith and traditional orthodox evangelical theology
• Remain a member in good standing of Westwood Community Church