To work with the Director of Music and Worship Leadership providing musical selections and accompaniment that complement worship services throughout the year.
- Bachelor’s degree in Music Performance or equivalent experience
- Ability to play a variety of musical styles
- Organizational skills to attend rehearsals and prepare for weekly worship services and special calendar events
- Emotional and spiritual maturity to effectively work with various ages, backgrounds, and musical abilities
- A faith that allows for musical ability and giftedness to be seen as a ministry in Jesus Christ
- The flexibility to establish and develop a long-range music program
- Willingness to submit to background check and completion of all required forms for child/youth protection policy
- A mandatory background check will be performed every 2 years
- Maintain Organ and Piano music libraries.
- Chancel and Children’s Choir on Thursday evenings and accompany same groups as needed on Sunday mornings
- Accompany extra rehearsals and practice as needed
- As organist and pianist with choirs, soloists, instrumentalists, and other special music as required
- Attend staff meetings, Church council meetings, and other meetings when appropriate.
- Assist the Music Director in the maintenance of all church pianos; organ, console, and pipe chamber.
- Work with Music Director in choosing relevant hymns and service music for Traditional Service and seasonal worship experiences.
- Arrange for and hire substitute musicians.
- Meet with families to ascertain and arrange music requests during Memorial and Funeral Service planning. (Based on availability)
- Be a resource and liaison for all worship-related ministries.
- Provide service at the Conference and District level as expected by the connectional nature of the denomination.
- Attend workshops and seminars in order to better serve our congregation.
- Additional or diminished responsibilities as determined by Staff Parish Relations Committee and Senior Pastor.
- Provide music for weekly traditional worship services: Prelude, Offertory, Postlude, Hymns, Choir accompaniments, solo accompaniments, and other service music.
- Be familiar, adept, and proficient with the entire spectrum of musical genres and styles.
- Exhibit high level of skill on organ, piano, and all other keyboard instruments.
- Be available for weddings and funerals.
- Provide music for special non-Sunday worship services throughout the liturgical year.
- Maintain and strive to increase technical and musical proficiency.
Work Hours and Schedule:
- 10 hours per week based on Seasonal needs of the Congregation.
- Thursday evening rehearsals and Sunday Worship Experiences.
- Compensation will be reviewed annually.
- As a part-time support staff position, this position qualifies for inclusion in a matching pension program of up to 3% of salary (as of April 1, 2014)
- This position qualifies for paid holiday if the holiday is on a scheduled work day; if not that day, the day before or after as determined by Lead Pastor.
- Please refer to Policies and Guidelines Procedures for Part-Time Employees document for more information.
Reports to the Staff Parish Relations Committee for overall supervision and Lead Pastor for daily supervision.
About Central Church's Casavant Organ
The organ was built by Casavant Frères Limitée of St. Hyacinthe, Quebec. It is an instrument of three manual divisions and pedal. It was designed primarily as an instrument to enrich the worship services of the Church, but it is also capable of playing the
significant organ literature of the concert field. Placed in the chancel of the church, this organ employs the same principles of organ construction which served the great organ builders of the 17th and 18th centuries so well. This is
an organ worthy of the title which was bestowed on it, “The King of Instruments!”
- Great: Quintade, Principal, Rohrflote, Octave, Koppelflote, Octave, Mixture IV
- Choir: Gedackt, Spitzflote, Spitzflote Celeste, Gemshorn, Nazard, Blockflote, Tierce, Clarinet
- Swell: Salicional, Salicional Celeste, Aeoline, Nachthorn, Principal, Octavin, Scharff III, Trompette, Hautbois
- Pedal: Constre-basse (metal), Subbass (wood), Quintade Fr. #1, Octave, Gedackt, Choralbass, Mixture IV, Posaune, Posaune Fr. #32, Posaune Fr. #33