The Director of Communications is responsible for managing and directing Bethel’s internal and external communications - handling all messaging in the church outside of the Sunday morning messages and works to build teams to support all facets of church
communications (print, media, web, etc.). They work to create communication strategies and serve as a key spokesperson and media contact for the organization. They will help Bethel fulfill its mission “to multiply disciples through multiple sites and multiple
partnerships” as a key person involved in how that is communicated across different media.
Duties & Responsibilities
Promotion & Marketing:
- Create a proactive communication strategy to market, create momentum, and promote the mission of Bethel Church & Ministries.
- Develop system to initiate, organize, evaluate, prioritize and communicate promotional items.
- Create communication strategies to market, inform and promote teaching series, large events and other campaigns.
- Provide final edit and staff writing for all written materials related to promotions, marketing and publications.
Design & Brand Management:
- Lead efforts to design all art and promotional materials related to church-wide activities with high standards of creativity, excellence, effectiveness and fiscal responsibility.
- Network with paid and volunteer artists to develop graphic designs.
- Monitor the look, vibe and feel of all signage and promotional materials.
- Create and promote a style guide for staff and ministry that ensures consistency in messaging and visuals throughout Bethel.
- Police the use of logos and images that represent Bethel in part and in whole.
- Create policies and procedures related to the branding of Bethel and related entities.
- Curate all of Bethel’s print and electronic communication channels including, but not limited to, newsletters, bulletins, brochures, website and social media.
Web & Social Media:
- Oversee efforts of a direct report that is charged with developing, monitoring, and maintaining Bethel’s social media presence (including, but not limited to the Bethel website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, blogs, and apps).
Creative & Worship Arts:
- Proactively seek and collect stories of life change and Bethel life. Develop ways to creatively communicate those stories via video, interviews, newsletter, etc.
- Work in concert with the worship arts team in supporting the worship services through stories, video, and graphics as related to series branding and ministry promotion.
- Participate in creative sessions in developing worship series and special events (Christmas, Easter, All About Him Weekend, etc.).
- Create positive relationships with local and national media.
- Oversee efforts related to securing or responding to media attention.
- Develop policy and procedures related to media relations.
- Recruit, train and care for a team of communication and media servants (paid and unpaid): artists, designers, photographers, writers, etc.
- Work with staff and volunteer ministry leaders to define, develop and effectively market to church-wide and specific audiences.
- Assist ministry leaders in constructing marketing timelines to help promote and market programs and initiatives.
- Spiritually mature believer in a vital growing relationship with Christ.
- Demonstrates godly character through commitment to growth, development, and community; has a servant’s heart and is a source of life and unity to the staff team.
- Supports Bethel’s vision and values through generosity of spirit and support. Must be a member or willing to become a member of Bethel Church.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years journalism, public relations, mass media, or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field.
- Supervisory experience.
- Leadership: Leader, big picture planner, ministry partner, coach, and motivator. Lead and manage other staff and volunteers to implement communications strategies. Provide leadership and management in external/internal communications and marketing through
print and electronic vehicles for the church.
- Coaching/Training: Educate people about procedures and processes for communicating church messages. Meet them where they are in their level of understanding and help them come to know what we do and why we do it and how they can contribute to the overall
effectiveness of church communications.
- Creativity: Continually look for ways to communicate existing church-wide and ministry programs in creative ways that will evoke a response from the congregation and community.
- Marketing/Public Relations: Assess and determine the most effective ways to communicate a message to its intended audience.
- Organizational/Planning: Understand vision cast by leadership and organize communications messages in a way that best reflects church priorities. Able to manage multiple projects proficiently from beginning to end, keeping projects on time and on budget.
- Relational: Sit at the table with leadership and act as an advocate for creative and clear communications. Connect with ministries on a personal face-to-face and regular basis to understand their ministries’ needs and wants.
- Computer Proficiency: Must be extremely comfortable working with computers. Ability to take on basic design work.
- Writing: Adapt written text to match the medium through which it is being communicated. Communicate clearly and effectively using the written word.
- Design: Proficient in creative, photo, video and social media based software such as, but not limited to, Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.
Special working conditions:
- May be required to work some weekends.
- May be required to lift packages and objects of 10 – 20 pounds.
- Will be required to attend weekly staff meetings.
- May be required to sit at a desk for extended periods of time (more than 5 hours per day).
- Will be required to submit to a Criminal Background check.
- May be required to focus on a computer monitor screen for extended periods of time (more than 5 hours per day).
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit applications to Laura Sauerman at: firstname.lastname@example.org or to: Laura Sauerman, Bethel Church, 10202 Broadway, Crown Point, IN 46307.