First United Methodist Church
Position Title: Firsties Middle School Minister
Reports to: Youth and College Team Leader
Supervision: Executive Minister
General Description: The Middle School Minister is responsible for all aspects of ensuring the spiritual growth and development of Middle School students and team members. This includes leadership of weekly programs, intentional weekly
leadership development meeting with leaders, and periodic special events (Mission Academy, retreats, mission trips, day trips, service projects, etc).
- Lead a team in the operation of a Middle School ministry, directing the implementation of Firsties mission, vision and values through weekly programming and special events.
- Create and manage an annual Middle School student ministry plan as well as a personal development plan that will drive all the activities and teaching of the ministry.
- Spiritually prepare Middle School youth for the challenges of early and middle adolescence, including the nurture and Biblical teaching of clear Christian identity and purpose through an understanding of spiritual adoption, God-given personality and gifts,
and service in and to the Body of Christ.
- Have an active twice-a-week presence on area Middle School campuses at school events - including drama, music and sporting events, school lunches and others - developing relationships with students and school administration and strengthening relationships
with youth connected to First United Methodist.
- Direct the recruitment, training development of volunteer team members to actively seek to build community among students from multiple middle schools across Tulsa, to invest incarnationally in and to pray for students, and to staff weekly events and special
- Develop and disciple a group of student leaders.
- Serve as a catalyst for spiritual growth, in teaching, in small group settings, by example and in conversation with youth, parents and youth leaders.
- Implement and uphold security policies/practices in support iof weekly services and special events.
- Keep excellent attendance records; develop and execute a plan that involves follow up within 48 hours of all visitors and those who have missed three weeks in a row.
- Cultivate within the mid-high students a culture of passion for Christ, grace for one another, faithful participation in worship and mission, and love for our neighbor.
- Lead team member development meetings for Middle School leaders as well as creative meetings for the Middle school ministry.
- Assist in the development of an annual budget for Middle School student ministry and manage spending to budget.
- Be responsible for successfully transitioning students into the Firsties Middle School ministry and students out of Middle School ministry into High School Ministry by working closely with children’s minister, high school minister and minister of youth
- Attend weekly worship service; join a Sunday School class or small group and participate in all ministerial duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent and passionate Bible teacher.
- Servant leader.
- Consistently demonstrates a high level of communication, administration and leadership skills.
- Proven team builder and problem solver.
- Winsome, joyful lover of mid-high students.
- Self-starter with strong work ethic and great follow-through.
Relevant experience to the responsibilities will be determined by the Team Leader and search committee.
A Bachelor’s Degree is required.
To begin the application process, contact Dr. Hal Hamilton, Youth and College Team Leader @ Halhamilton@fumctulsa.org