Position Status: Ministerial Staff
Supervises: Children’s Lay Teachers, Children’s Lay Leaders, Childcare Workers
Reports to: Executive Pastor
Who we are:
Mission Church seeks God’s will to disciple the individual, family and the Body of Christ. We lead our people to engage our community in service opportunities so as to create an environment where Jesus is known across the street and around the world.
One of our greatest gifts at Mission is our children, so we are looking for someone who has the priority to love them and their families. Our Children’s Pastor must be a team player and willing to invest in children, parents and leaders so they can become
who God created them to be. You must be a strong builder who enjoys developing and implementing a children’s ministry plan and budget for kids ages 0 through grade 5, as well as for their families.
We’re praying for God to bless us with someone who can develop and implement a ministry to children ages 0 through grade 5 which contributes to their growing commitment to Jesus which nurtures the family.
Essential Job Functions:
As a fruitful servant you will be driven to build authentic relationships with children, parents and fellow leaders from the overflow an authentic relationship with Jesus. Through Christ you’ll be inspired to lead the Children’s Ministry by developing an
annual plan which evaluates existing ministries, identifies new ministries, and recommends changes as appropriate for inclusion in the succeeding year’s preliminary budget. Your goal will be to design a ministry that will disciple children and their families
toward a growing commitment to Christ and to each other.
- Serve as the primary vision caster and leader for the children’s ministry.
- Invest in leaders by recruiting, training, motivating, supervising, and providing pastoral care to all children’s teachers and leaders.
- Give oversight to the Sunday and mid-week children’s programs.
- Develop or select discipleship curriculum and programs for children, ages 0 through grade 5, which can be used by trained lay teachers and leaders.
- Develop and implement a Mission Community (small groups) strategy for children’s ministry.
- Keep accurate children’s ministry financial records to ensure the budget is maintained.
- Develop materials and schedule classes that would see children grow in their commitment to Christ, grow in their connection in the body of Christ and grow in their confidence to contribute to the mission of Christ.
- Provide opportunities for families by offering parenting workshops, faith development classes, and family-oriented classes and activities where parents and children could learn together.
- Work closely with the Pastor to Students to help children make a healthy transition to Student Ministry.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Pastor.
- Oversee children’s safety; Background checks.
- Follow up for guests, missing kids and their families.
- Be in a Mission Community group yourself and your spouse.
- A balanced personal life which provides for spiritual, physical, and mental growth for him/herself and family.
- A passion for evangelizing and reaching children with the Good News about Jesus and seeing them grow in their faith.
- A high value on family and a desire to see parents become disciplers of their children.
- A high level of personal integrity.
- A team player and a team builder.
- Coachable and teachable.
- Communicate effectively with children and families.
- Courage and willingness to initiate growth in the discipleship ministries.
- Recruit, train, motivate, and supervise children’s teachers and leaders.
- Expand existing and develop new discipleship ministries.
- Manage multiple ministries, events, and issues concurrently.
- Interpret and use Scripture accurately.
- Strong interpersonal skills in working with teachers and leaders.
- Self-motivated and able to motivate others.
- Has served in a multi-staff congregation.
- Proven experience to lead children’s ministries and families.
- Five years experience in children’s ministries.
- Bachelor’s degree (education) or equivalent experience in children’s ministry.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuing education.
- Compensation and Benefits is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Send a cover letter and resume to Vic Alvarado, Executive Pastor – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southern California residences who understand the challenges of the cost of living in San Diego, and who also understand our culture will be looked at more closely.