Position Title: Pastor of Student Ministries
Position Level: Full-time Pastoral
Accountable to: Executive Pastor
Supervisor of: Part-time Administrative Assistant and Pastoral Intern(s)
Position Purpose: The Pastor of Student Ministries will provide effective leadership for and give direction to the Student Ministries (middle school and high school students and their parents). The Pastor will develop and grow a leadership
team and ministry program for the students in keeping with the mission and strategy of Valley Ranch Baptist Church (VRBC).
OUR CHURCH // COMMUNITY // STUDENT MINISTRY
VRBC is a growing, multi-ethnic, multi-generational church with a vision of reaching 56,000 people in a five-mile radius who are not yet connected to Christ or a local church. The communities we serve, Valley Ranch and Coppell, are beautifully diverse, with
people from a wide variety of ethnic, socio-economic, language, age, and religious backgrounds. Yet these communities are also filled with many people who are tragically disconnected from God and each other.
That is why we are fully committed to our mission of inviting diverse and disconnected people to passionately follow Jesus together. The way we accomplish it is by engaging together in weekly worship services, grow groups, and serve teams,
and living invite lifestyles. Collectively, we can be described by six core values–Biblically Rooted (shaped and directed by God’s Word), Storytellers (celebrating God’s work in our lives), Under Construction (more like
Jesus every day), Hilariously Generous (serving and giving with joy), Happily Third (God first, others second), and Different Together (unique, yet one). Presently, VRBC averages 600 attenders on Sunday and reaches 80 students and
80 children weekly.
Our Student Ministry, Refuge, seeks to equip students to love Jesus and live in response to Him every day. In Psalm 62, we read that God alone is our Rock and our Refuge. He is our only source of hope and salvation. We desire for all students to discover
for themselves the Refuge that is Jesus Christ. It’s by creating a safe, fun, and inviting environment in which all students feel welcomed and appreciated that they begin to open themselves up to the Holy Spirit’s redemptive work in their lives. In response
to the grace the students receive, we encourage and equip them to worship, grow, serve, and invite together with our entire church.
MUST-HAVE ATTRIBUTES // JOIN OUR TEAM IF YOU…
- Have an infectious devotion to Jesus, the Word of God, and the local church
- Have a calling, love, and passion for student ministry—this passion would drive the vision and direction of our Student Ministries
- Have two or more years of staff leadership in a growing student ministry
- Are humble, faithful, and wise—especially in handling difficult issues relevant to students/parents/community members
- Are relatable to students and seen by them as relevant, authentic, and fun
- Can recruit, lead, inspire, and equip leaders/volunteers and create a thriving Student Ministry leadership team
- Can effectively communicate in large and small group settings to various audiences (students, leaders, parents, and congregation) and give transformational messages based on God’s Word
- Are actively cultivating relationships in the community that mirror Jesus’ leaving the ninety-nine to seek the lost one and are able to overcome barriers (such as cultural or religious differences) to build relational bridges to lost and lonely people
DESIRED ATTRIBUTES // YOU GET EXTRA CREDIT IF YOU…
- Are a seminary-trained, ordained pastor
- Have demonstrated results in growing a student ministry
- Have proven effectiveness in recruiting, motivating, and equipping adult student ministry leaders and building successful teams
- Have previous experience in cross-cultural ministry
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES // YOU’LL BE DOING GREAT IF YOU…
- Cast a compelling vision for the Student Ministries in line with VRBC’s vision of reaching 56,000 people in a five-mile radius who are not yet connected to Christ or a local church
- Engage a growing number of students to worship, grow, serve, and invite, and disciple them and their parents to know, imitate, and share Jesus
- Enlist, encourage, equip, and empower a growing team of adult and student leaders who help coordinate the Refuge’s discipleship activities/events and outreach initiatives
- Ensure all Student Ministry events are safe, fun, relevant, and inviting
- Lead the creative use and proactive upkeep of the Student Ministry media, communication, and ministry environments
- Seek to maintain a solid personal relationship with students and families and be available for counseling and pastoral care
- Connect with involved and uninvolved students “on their turf” (in schools, around the community, at games, etc.) and inspire all other Refuge leaders to do the same
- Develop, in consultation with other student leaders and senior church leadership, an annual budget for the Student Ministries and operate within its constraints
- Function as a Go All In pastoral staff team member who supports adult and children’s Worship/Grow/Serve/Invite initiatives and works with other leaders to find ministry opportunities for students to serve the broader church family and in the community
- Participate in an adult Grow Group each semester and serve as a Grow Group leader (leading either your own adult Grow Group or a student Grow Group)
- Participate in other general pastoral duties as needed (weddings, funerals, counseling, care ministry, speaking on the main stage, etc.) and in all staff meetings/retreats/ conferences
- Perform other duties based on unique giftedness as assigned by the Executive Pastor
OUR STAFF // CULTURE // BENEFITS // COMMITMENTS
What's it like working at VRBC? Three words come to mind: humbling, rewarding, and empowering. It’s humbling because we’re serving a big God in a great church with a challenging mission. The work we’re doing is global in scale and eternal in impact. It’s
incredibly significant and so we never quite feel worthy of the call. Yet that is exactly why it’s so rewarding. We’re doing the Lord’s work, so we’re filled with much gratitude, joy, and purpose. Along with that, it’s a tremendous privilege to be working
alongside some of the most gracious and gifted leaders on the planet on our staff and in our church, who care deeply for one another, our church, and our community.
We prove our care for our staff members through the way we treat each other and our collective commitments. All team members are fully supported and empowered to fulfill their role, grow into their unique calling, and offer their unique contribution. We
equip through ongoing coaching, leadership training, and conferences. Our compensation package includes: competitive salary, family healthcare coverage, retirement matching, expense account, health/wellness expense reimbursements (gym membership and counseling
fees), and other benefits. We want you and your family to be happy and healthy for the long-term, as you serve Christ with us.
In order to maintain a healthy and growing staff and church, each staff member covenants to uphold our Staff Culture Team Commitments. These six practices are vital in order to help our team remain strong: Just Say It (courageously communicate by
saying what needs to be said in the way it should be said), Shout Out (appreciate and celebrate other’s strengths and successes), Go All In (completely commit by living out our mission and loving our team), Make It Better (look to
learn from everyone and everything and help everyone and everything get better), Empower Others (position people in their area of greatest gifting/passion and leverage as many leaders as possible), Keep a Healthy Balance (give my best, get
rest, and trust God with the rest).
MORE ABOUT OUR COMMUNITY // WHY YOU’LL LOVE LIVING HERE
VRBC is situated on the dividing line between two communities, Valley Ranch and Coppell. They are two growing and diverse suburbs of Dallas, Texas, that offer exceptional schools, affordable homes, family-friendly environments, world-class dining and shopping
options, and close proximity to tons of fun activities throughout the Metroplex. Nobody beats our Mexican food, barbecue, or Dallas Cowboys (okay, sometimes the “boys-in-blue” lose)! And if ever you get tired of the food and fun activities (which we doubt
you will), it only takes 15 minutes to get to DFW airport—which can take you almost anywhere in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
All qualified applicants should apply. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and include: resume, applicant/family photo, and link to a 2-minute personal video explaining why you believe you are a good fit for this position based on your previous
ministry experience, unique background, passions, and calling.