Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries
As a member of the pastoral staff, accountable to the Lead Pastor , the Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries will oversee a unified and comprehensive family-based, disciple-making ministry with our children, students, and families, serving as our strategic
leader in guiding our leadership teams toward fulfilling our:
Mission: “To make fully devoted and fully developed disciples of Jesus Christ.”
Vision Description: “By God’s grace, we are committed to loving people where they’re at, leading them to where they belong, and helping them to live out what they profess so that they may, in turn, make new disciples who become fully devoted
and fully developed followers of Christ..”
With strong servant-leadership and vision, he will serve as the lead catalyst in equipping parents to disciple their families and, as a leader of leaders, he will equip the Children’s and Student’s Ministry Leadership Teams for their disciple-making mission.
He will be motivated by a natural love for children, students, and their families. His ministry foundation will flow from a passion for God’s Word, evangelism, discipleship, leadership development, team building, and family.
Word of Life Baptist Church, a member of the North American Baptist Conference (NAB), is a local body of believers who confess faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior. Average attendance on a Sunday morning ranges from 300-350. Located
on Michigan’s Sunrise Side, Alpena is a place where history and heritage collide with relaxed outdoor adventure. Over 10,000 people call the city of Alpena home, with nearly 29,000 residing in the county. Alpena is the Sanctuary of the Great Lakes, residing
on the shores of Lake Huron.
Primary Areas - The Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries will be directly responsible to:
- oversee the continual development and implementation of our Children's and Student’s Ministries so that they are both unified and comprehensive in their disciple-making scope
- oversee, equip, and coach the Children's and Student’s Ministry Leadership Teams as they implement an intentional strategy to disciple our children and teens
- oversee the development and implementation of a ministry to, and with, parents
- develop spiritual leaders
- be available to parents for support, encouragement and pastoral counseling
- supervise a part-time assistant
Secondary Areas - The Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries will be responsible to:
- oversee the East Campus Youth and Family Center Team
- assist with general pastoral duties such as weddings, funerals, general counseling, etc.
- preach the Word occasionally
Character: The Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries will demonstrate the heart and qualities in keeping with the biblical role of an elder as described in Scripture.
Competencies: The Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries will be able to:
- communicate God's Word clearly, accurately, and with practical application
- communicate effectively with leaders and team members
- delegate ministry to other capable individuals
- lead others toward our mission fulfillment
- develop and work with teams
- show love to others
- exercise discernment in counseling, conflict, and leadership settings
- relate with children, Jr. and Sr. High students, and their parents
- help parents build and strengthen relationships with their children and teenagers
- counsel those with personal and family problems
- be aware and familiar with the culture in which our children and teens live
Expertise: The Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries will possess strong gifting and expertise in the following areas:
- vision-based strategic leadership
- developing leaders
- shepherding/pastoral care
- In general, the Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries will be a mature leader with ministry experience in a variety of settings, preferably with some combination of family, youth or children's ministry.
- It is preferred that the Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries will be an ordained minister of the Gospel by a Baptist denomination or one of equal doctrinal belief.
- It is preferred that the Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries will hold a Master of Divinity degree from a seminary of similar doctrinal background to WOL.
- The Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries will be committed to ongoing ministry training and professional development.
- It is preferred that the Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries’ education include training focused on youth and families
- The Pastor of Youth and Family Ministries will teach and lead in alignment with the church’s official statement of belief