POSITION SUMMARY: The Valley Church was founded in 1994, and has continually focused on being a place for people who had previously “tried” church and found it irrelevant. Our purpose has always been to help people rediscover God and connect them with others
on the same journey. As we continue to grow and expand, we are looking for a leader who can join our team, create a strong life group system as well as invest in training for peer to peer discipling.
Our Pastor of Discipleship will seek to make The Valley Church (TVC) known for being the most effective discipling church in our region by engaging people through Life groups, spiritual gifts discovery & training, as well as local mission projects. This
person will strategically assimilate and retain newcomers into the life of the church so that people move from attendance to full commitment and a life of devotion to God.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Pastor of Discipleship (PofD) is responsible for the following areas:
- Champion and drive our 8-week peer to peer discipling relationship studies.
- Recruit, train and develop existing and new Life Group leaders.
- Launch, oversee, and equip all aspects of Life groups.
- The PofD will produce sermon-based curriculum for specific initiatives as needed.
- Participate as part of the preaching team.
- Partner in local mission projects that invite new people into the life of The Valley.
- Implement a Spiritual Gifts training seminar that allows people to find their spiritual gifts and become engaged in the ministries of the church.
- The PofD with work and coordinate with the connections ministry to aid in the assimilation of new guest into the life of the church.
- Create tangible measures of the church’s progress in discipleship.
- Assist in worship services and perform other duties as needed.
- Share in performing weddings, funerals, pastoral counseling & hospital visitation
- Expand and drive our 8-week discipling studies.
- Increase the demand for Life groups and the number of leaders equipped to facilitate them, with an involvement
goal of 50% of the congregation actively engaging in a group.
- The PofD will coach everyone seeking Jesus into a committed discipling relationship, equipping and sending them to be missionaries in their immediate community and globally.
- Develop a pathway into life groups so that we see a higher percentage of people becoming active in the life and ministries of the church whose initial experience and contact with the Valley was through a Life group.
- Create a spiritual gifts training seminar that incorporates people into the life and ministries of the church.
- Deep and growing faith in Jesus Christ.
- Warm-hearted, gregarious, and gifted at networking.
- Strong communication skill set that includes preaching.
- At least three years’ experience coaching adults in the discipleship of a church 500-700
- Experience managing large groups and large events.
- Must be social media literate.
- Have a sense of effective graphics and media communication and strategy.
- The position requires ordination or moving toward ordination.
Areas of Overlap
- Collaborate with all other ministry areas regarding assimilation process to place people into the proper growth vehicles for nurturing their discipleship.
- Coordinate with Group leaders to monitor Life group development, experience, and multiplication.
- Assessment process to help group leaders and staff in identifying, developing and recruiting viable candidates into our LDP leadership pipeline.
- Reports to the Executive Pastor
- Work in concert with connections team to move new guests into groups
- Participation in staff meetings.
The position will be responsible for enlisting, equipping, and coordinating volunteers within their ministry area.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Completion or active pursuit of a degree in a field of study related to biblical studies, ministry leadership, etc.
- Candidate will have a working knowledge of current philosophies and models of discipleship & group life.
- Ministry leadership experience, including directing teams, holding workers accountable, providing performance feedback and rewarding desired behaviors
- Understanding and experience in a relationship/partnership building model of outreach.
- Budget experience, including forecasting costs, establishing budgets and adhering to set budgets.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to solve problems, sometimes creatively.
- Ability to lead people and projects, as well as do the work.
- Ability to use spreadsheets to assist in empirical analysis.
- Ability to challenge status quo to improve operating efficiencies.
- Spirit-filled disciple of Christ
- Integrity beyond reproach
- Passionate about living for the kingdom
- Ability to work in harmony with other staff members
- Flexible, adaptable, coachable, and teachable
- Servant-heart; servant leader
- Unshaken by changing priorities