The Assistant Pastor makes it more realistic for the church to meet the pastoral needs of the flock assigned to them by God. This requires a consistent labor of love in intercessory prayer and the preaching and teaching of the Word. He will be called upon
to relieve the pastor in the preaching and personal work as is appropriate and realistic. His major responsibility will be to focus on the younger population of the church, from children to young adults. Whereas He must be sensitive to the fact that the
most important function of the church is to meet the spiritual needs of the believers whom God has called to the ministry, we will look to the assistant pastor to provide oversight to the provision and maintenance of the facilities and equipment provided by
God for our work. Although both pastors will try to work with both the Elders and Deacons in accomplishing their tasks in the church, the Assistant Pastor will be expected to assume the responsibility of primarily being in close connection to the Deacons in
fulfilling the supply and equipment needs of those serving in the teaching and music ministries. It would be expected that he would be in attendance at their regular monthly meetings as well as in regular communication with the Chairman to assure that decisions
made will be implemented. It is also advisable that he be in attendance at Elders meetings to assure that he is aware of those things that come to the Elders attention to enhance our ministry among the flock.
Basic Responsibilities (Proverbs 27:23)
- Maintain a personal daily devotional life and close walk in the Spirit.
- Become acquainted with as many of the flock as practical.
- Attempt to live an exemplary Christ-honoring personal life.
- Focus especially on the spiritual needs of the younger population of the church.
- Act as the staff liaison with the Board of Deacons.
- Work closely with the Deacon chairman in implementing Board decision.
- Fill in for the pastor as scheduled and needed for pulpit supply.
- Provide assistance in the visitation ministry of the church.
- Assume counseling responsibilities as deemed appropriate.
- Share the responsibility for the prayer ministry of the church.