Controller Job Description (05-17-2018 ver.)
The Controller is a full-time salaried and director level position who reports directly to and works closely with the Executive Pastor. The Controller supports the church's growing multi-site ministry by overseeing the church's finances, providing
financial analysis and forecasts to leadership, implementing the Finance Committee’s financial policies, and overseeing the human resources (HR) area.
Financial Planning, Budgeting, & Administration:
- Assist the Executive Pastor in all areas related to budget management, financial forecasting, cash planning, and cost/benefit analysis.
- Guide ministry leaders in preparation of annual budget requests.
- Develop a proposed budget that fulfills the Elders ministry priorities and present it to the Finance Committee.
- Monitor expenditures for proper approvals and adherence to financial policies.
- Oversee banking relationships
- Coordinate updates to the Financial Policy Manual and Financial Procedures Manual.
- Develop and maintain a system for tracking all church assets and equipment
- Develop and update a variety of weekly and monthly financial and attendance reports provided to staff, Finance Committee, and the Elder Body.
- Provide monthly departmental expense reports to staff and ministry leaders.
- Oversee timely distribution of giving statements
- Serve as the management representative for the annual audit.
- Maintain all government reporting for non-cash gifts.
- Process and distribute annual form 1099
- Coordinate accurate posting of revenues and expenses from all domestic and international campuses
- Reconcile monthly bank statements from all campuses to include relevant foreign currency conversions.
- Prepare daily journal entries.
- Manage international funds transfers and payments.
- Set-up, monitor, and review all staff Visa credit cards and expense reporting using the Concur application.
- Assist A/P staff with review and payment of invoices through check payment, ACH, and automatic bill pay.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts.
- Maintain monthly cash summary.
- Coordinate all sales of marketable securities and non-cash gifts.
10. Establish offering protocols for ushers at each campus.
11. Oversee online giving module funds and postings.
12. Process all campus and mail offerings for posting and deposit as well as weekly attendance.
- Process bi-monthly payroll.
- Monitor all paid vacation and paid sick days.
- Manage remote time-keeping application.
- Maintain and update HR Policy Manual and files as needed.
- Oversee employee on-boarding and exit processing.
- Ensure compliance with HR goals.
- Review annual health insurance program and investigate cost-effective benefit plans and other benefits the church may offer employees.
- Maintain 403(b) retirement program.
- Oversee the semi-annual and annual staff evaluation process.
- Maintain all other professional documentation i.e. Worker protection policies, safety policies, and waivers.
- Determine and communicate all benefit levels available to each employee.
- Maintain integrity of financial reporting.
- Responsible for accuracy of finance and contribution modules.
- Ensure financial policies are followed for dual controls.
- Oversee weekly posting of contributions.
- Oversee proper recording and deposit of mailed donation checks.
- Receive and distribute the church mail.
- Attend weekly staff operations meeting (Tuesdays 10am)
- Participate in monthly all-staff meetings
- Minimum bachelor's degree in accounting. CPA preferred but not required.
- 10 years of financial and managerial experience. Non-profit accounting experience preferred but not required.
- Controller experience.
- Ability to work well with others and lead accounting staff.
- The Executive Pastor who is the Elder for Multiplication and Administration.
- Compliance with GAAP for Trinity Church to the best extent possible.
- Accounts payable staff.
- Continue to grow spiritually including maintain a commitment to prayer and Scripture.
- Maintain strong marriage/family.
- Be involved in the life of Trinity Church.
- Defend the doctrinal positions of Trinity Church.
- Support the leadership and decisions of the Elder Body.
- Work full-time (40+ hours per week) in the office.
- Cooperate with annual/regular reviews by the Executive Pastor.
- Attend monthly Finance Committee meetings.
Support (what Trinity Church provides):
- Salary and benefits.
- Continuing education.
- Resources (books, journals, office space and supplies, computer, phone, etc.).
- Personal support from Elder Body and Pastoral staff.
*Please include a statement of faith including when you first trusted Jesus Christ as your savior and share why you are interested in working at Trinity Church