MOUNT PLEASANT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (USA)
Job Title: Learning Center Director
Posting Date: May 2018
Reports To: Executive Director
GENERAL ROLE OVERVIEW
The Learning Center Director at Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church (MPPC) shall provide vision and leadership in Christian education for the staff and families of the Learning Center (LC). This person shall report to the Executive Director and is expected
to develop and administer the Christian education programs and curriculum in accordance with the MPPC mission and vision. The director is responsible for all policies, priorities, projects, and budgets of the Learning Center and is responsible for interactions
with church staff and members with a Christian attitude & Servant's heart while maintaining the ability to delegate authority judiciously.
B.S. and/or Master’s in Early Childhood or Childcare Admin with supervisory and leadership experience. The ability to foster a Christian environment with a proven track record of professional maturity, stability and integrity. A working knowledge of children’s
physical, emotional, and developmental patterns in conjunction with a working knowledge of general learning theories and curriculum development alternatives. Leadership skills in Christian curriculum planning, staff training, program goal setting, lesson planning,
and procedures for evaluating the progress of individual children in a church school environment. The ability to develop new and imaginative programs within the field of early childhood Christian education. An ability to discern when enrolled children may
require additional attention for physical and/or cognitive special needs. Must keep abreast of 5K and 1st grade entry level requirements of area public and private schools.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops supervisory standards for LC that adhere to and are reflective of all policies of MPPC.
- Directly supervises all LC personnel and assists with the hiring, orientation and evaluation of their performance. Suggests salary adjustments for all staff with the Personnel Ministries approval. Holds authority to performance manage and terminate staff
as required, with the MPPC Executive Director’s approval.
- Maintains professional skills while supervising the development of in-service training programs for the staff.
- Administers policy set forth by MPPC and those specific to the LC.
- Evaluates classrooms formally (w/ documentation) and informally and provides feedback to the staff and Executive Director.
Budget and Finance:
- Recommends fiscal policy through the MPPC Finance Ministry and prepares budget projections for approval by the Finance Ministry at each annual budget meeting.
- Attends all scheduled Finance Ministry meetings, prepared to report on LC finances.
- Maintains fiscal control for the LC’s finances as approved by the church Finance Ministry.
- Assists with periodic audits and responds to audit requests by the church Session or its designee.
- Responsible for accounts receivable, accounts payable and cash flow in conjunction with the Executive Director.
- Insures compliance with the local, state, and federal regulations governing children, personnel, property, and insurance liability.
- Completes background checks and drug screens for all new hires while ensuring proper documentation is placed in secure personnel files.
- Works together with Personnel Ministries and ensures adherence to written personnel policies and practices under guidance of Personnel Ministries. Affirms agency wide compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations covering equal opportunity
employment, minimum wages and the like.
- Ensures proper record keeping and data retrieval systems essential to effective administration and operation of the programs that are in line with church policies and procedures.
- Ensures the development of inventory control practices and procedures for non-expendable equipment and expendable supplies in line with church policies and procedures.
- Develops all age appropriate Christian curriculum for use by LC teachers.
Learning Center Advisory Board:
- Assures that the vision of MPPC and the LC are aligned to maintain and keep MPPC’s objectives before the LC Advisory Board.
- Assists LC’s Advisory Board to take effective action to inform the community by keeping informed about the changing needs and/or concerns within the LC’s area of community service responsibility.
- Exercises leadership within the community to deal with the changing needs and concerns as well as to address these changing needs.
- Provides factual data as required for effective LC Advisory Board deliberation and decision making with LC’s objectives.
- Ensures MPPC’s strategic objectives pertaining to the LC are implemented.
- Implements the MPPC objectives for LC and assists Chair to involve LC Advisory Board with these priorities.
- Implements vision set forth by LC Advisory Board.
- Assists in the preparation of procedure statements and manuals under the guidance of the LC Advisory Board.
- Develops an atmosphere of support for LC within the geographic program area of the community.
- Assists local agencies in teacher training and internship programs.
- Acts as a resource person for other local, state and federal programs.
- Insures development of timely and accurate publicity materials.
- Coordinates weekly chapel and music activities with the MPPC Program staff.
- Coordinates registration process and assigns students to classes maintaining proper student to teacher ratio.
- Acts as a liaison between parents and teachers.
- Ensures a cooperative environment among staff and parents ensuring supportive, open communication among all involved parties.
- Keeps advised about potential financial resources from which to draw support for LC programs and projects.
- Recommends facility maintenance, classroom repairs or upgrades and equipment purchases to MPPC’s Executive Director for approval.
- Comfortable with public speaking and committee presentations as required.
- Regular collaboration with the Executive Director to insure the LC calendar coordinates with the MPPC master calendar for all LC activities.
- Attend Weekly MPPC Staff meetings.
- Works a minimum of 30 hours per week.