The Weddington United Methodist Church is seeking a full-time Director or Minister of Adult Discipleship to join our ministry team. Weddington is a large growing church in the beautiful south Charlotte area. Please see position description below. More
information about Weddington United Methodist Church is available at
www.weddingtonchurch.org. To apply, please email resumes to:
Director of Adult Discipleship
The Director of Adult Discipleship must have a calling and passion for helping others engage and grow in their faith and discipleship with Jesus Christ.
- Profess Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and a commitment to personal spiritual growth.
- Consider this position a ministry, not just a job, performing your duties and responsibilities in a manner to glorify Christ and further the mission of Weddington United Methodist Church.
- Lead by example practicing healthy relational boundaries and fiscal integrity including faithful stewardship to the church ministry.
- As a member of the staff of Weddington United Methodist Church, it is expected that your faith and practice will be consistent with the Doctrinal Standards and the Social Principles of The United Methodist Church as noted in The Book of Discipline of The
United Methodist Church.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field.
- Experience in leadership of Adult Discipleship ministry.
The Director of Adult Discipleship shall be accountable to the Senior Pastor for ministry direction and daily job performance and to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee for employment.
- Develop, implement, oversee, and grow the adult discipleship ministry and ministry teams of Weddington United Methodist Church including, but not limited to, the following areas: Adult Sunday School, LIFE Groups, Disciple Bible Study, Bible Studies and
Financial / Stewardship Education (Ex: Financial Peace).
- Develop, implement, and oversee an adult discipleship vision and strategic plan to allow us to fulfill our mission of “intentionally growing in faith.”
- Develop, implement, and oversee training and/or coaching opportunities for teachers, small group leaders, and other volunteers in the adult discipleship ministry.
- Evaluate what is taught considering biblical and historic Wesleyan theology guiding curriculum choice and resources.
- Assimilate members of the congregation into the adult discipleship ministries for their spiritual formation.
- Lead Discipleship Team Meetings in developing and implementing a strategic plan for the overall discipleship ministry including children ministry, youth ministry, and adult ministry.
- Lead Discipleship Team Meetings in developing a discipleship ministry for family units including ministries such as parenting, marriage enrichment, etc.
- Teach or lead when feasible.
- Network with other large church Directors or Pastors of Adult Discipleship for mutual support and the sharing of ideas and effective approaches to discipleship ministries.
- Meet regularly with the Senior Pastor to develop a vision and strategic plan for adult discipleship to compliment the mission and vision of Weddington United Methodist Church.
- Attend Program Staff, Church Council, and other team meetings as appropriate.
- Serve as a team member of the Program Staff Team providing encouragement and input on all areas of the church’s ministry and mission.
- Be actively engaged in various continuing education opportunities germane to the responsibilities of this position.