CHILDREN’S MINISTRY DIRECTOR
REFUGE CHURCH – WILLMAR, MN
JOB DESCRIPTION – Full-time Position
REFUGE CHURCH’S MISSION
To be and make disciples of Jesus Christ.
To provide vision, leadership, coordination and oversight for all facets of Refuge Children’s Ministry (Birth-4th grade) in alignment with the mission, core values and philosophy of Refuge Church.
- A commitment to the ministry of Jesus Christ through a lifestyle that is characterized by prayer, reading God’s Word, love for others, integrity, and support for co-laborers.
- Agreement with Refuge Statement of Faith. (www.refugewillmar.org)
- Formal christian education training and/or significant ministry experience, with a passion for children’s ministry.
- Ability to recruit, train, mentor, and encourage volunteer staff in ministry areas.
- An ability to communicate and build relationships with volunteers, children and their parents.
- A passion and excitement for training and enabling volunteers to teach kids about Jesus through stories, worship, service in the church and other creative venues.
- A genuine concern for the spiritual development, safety and outreach potential of the children and the ministry of early childhood wing and children’s programs.
- A membership at Refuge Church.
- Engage, nurture, and encourage children, families, and volunteers on their faith journey.
- Evaluate annually, along with volunteers, the quality and content of Children’s Ministry curriculum and the teaching and worship experiences -- then make necessary changes.
- Coordinate the recruiting, scheduling, training, screening (including background checks), supervision and recognition of Children’s Ministry and Early Childhood (nursery and wigglers) volunteers.
- Implement and maintain safety and security policies within ministry areas to protect participants as established by the Trustee Board.
- Communicate with Office Administrator to provide publicity regarding Children’s Ministry events within the church.
- Be involved in pastoral staff meetings to maintain consistency and continuity with other ministry areas of the church (creating calendars, scheduling events, volunteers, etc.).
- Review, select and circulate appropriate curriculum for the various Refuge Children’s Ministries as approved by the Christian Education Board.
- Maintain detailed reports and records for Children’s Ministry and Early Childhood areas including budgets, administrative tasks, vision casting, and goal setting.
- Keep rooms in the early childhood wing equipped with age appropriate/quality equipment as well as cleaned/sanitized regularly; thoroughly sanitizing toys quarterly.
- Communicate effectively with volunteers, parents, staff, and the church in general by sending monthly schedules to volunteers, sending reminder emails/postcards to weekly volunteers, letting the office administrator and/or staff know of new families, and
writing letters to families when necessary.
- Keep regularly posted church office hours coordinated with Pastoral Staff and the Christian Education Board.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities in order to stay current with skills in leading Children’s Ministry.
CHILDREN’S MINISTRY AREAS TO SERVE AND/OR COORDINATE INCLUDE, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- CONNECT hour classes (Sunday School hour)
- CrissCross (children’s worship: 4 years old to 3rd grade)
- JAM (Wednesday Evening) (K - 4th grade)
- Christmas Program (Preschool - 4th grade)
- Vacation Bible School (One full week in the summer) (Preschool – 4th grade)
- Volunteers need to be recruited & scheduled for:
- Sunday morning - both services and CONNECT hour
- Childcare (Women's’ Bible Studies, VBS, Special Events, etc.)
This individual will be expected to take an active role in staff meetings, Christian Education Board meetings, and congregational business meetings.
- This position reports to and gives weekly working log to the Associate Pastor.
- This position will have a 6-month evaluation with the Christian Education Board to determine effectiveness of position and areas where support is needed.
- Annual job performance evaluations will be conducted with the Christian Education Board and the Associate Pastor.
DESIRED ATTRIBUTES/PERSONAL QUALITIES
- Personal faith journey that strives to live as an authentic follower of Christ
- Self-starter, hard worker, strong interpersonal skills
- Leadership, encouragement and organizational skills
Submit letter of application, resume and references to Refuge Church at firstname.lastname@example.org.