The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries plans, develops, and directs Christian ministry to and with the youth and young adults of Arlington United Methodist Church and surrounding communities that fosters faith in Jesus Christ and equips youth to
be in ministry to others.
Reports To: Senior Pastor and Staff/Parish Relations Committee
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Detail oriented with strong written and verbal communication, conflict management, and computer skills
- Personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord
- Passion and ability to work with youth and young adults in ministry
- Understands current youth culture and is a champion of diversity
- Agreement with our church’s vision, goals and statement of faith
- Teachable, with a desire to grow in one’s faith and abilities
- Ability to protect other’s reputation and integrity through strict confidentiality
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field. Professional Certification in Youth Ministry is desired.
Principle duties and Responsibilities:
- Grow disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive ministry to (and with) youth and young adults, including group building, worship, evangelism, fellowship, discipleship, and service.
- Coordinate all aspects of Middle School and High School aged weekly programming and events, including Sunday School.
- Be available to (and with) youth in a variety of ways including a regular presence at Arlington Middle School and Arlington High School (i.e. lunch periods, sporting events and community programming).
- Develop relationships and maintain regular communication with parents of participating youth and in corporation with the senior pastor, meet with students and their families when pastoral care is needed.
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth and ensure adequate volunteer support, and adult to youth ratios.
- Be aware of resources for developing youth programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities to support the same.
- In cooperation with the Senior Pastor, coordinate and assist in teaching annual Confirmation classes.
- Be a liaison between the church, other community organizations, people, and resources as they relate to youth and youth ministries.
- Support and guide the work of the Youth Ministries Team to schedule, plan, and carry out all youth ministry activities, and age-appropriate retreats/trips.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
- Be aware of resources for developing young adult programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities to support the same.
- Coordinate all aspects of young adult programming and events, including college-age, singles, and couples.
- Be a liaison between the church, other community organizations, people, and resources as they relate to college-aged adults, young singles, and young couples.
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, bulletin board, etc.).
- Ensure that all programs and events follow Safe Sanctuary guidelines.
- Attend church council, Charge Conference, and other meetings as needed or requested.
- In consultation with the Senior Pastor and Youth Ministries Team prepare, submit, and administer an annual youth budget and goals.
- In consultation with the Senior Pastor, prepare, submit, and administer young an annual adult ministry budget and goals.
- Prepare and submit a periodic summary report of the mission, goals, plans and successes in youth and young adult ministry for the Church Council or other groups as requested.
- The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries is hired by the Staff/Parish Relations Committee and the Senior Pastor.
- The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries shall perform all responsibilities under the direction and supervision of the Senior Pastor, complying with these guidelines and other employee policies as adopted.
- The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries shall meet with the Senior Pastor for clarification of the vision for this ministry, strategic planning, and for guidance, prayer, and support.
- The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries shall be evaluated annually by the Senior Pastor, with input from the Staff/Parish Relations Committee.
- The Staff/Parish Relations Committee is available to provide support and hear concerns.
- Regular worship attendance at Arlington United Methodist Church is expected.
- Satisfactory completion of a background check and drug screening is a prerequisite for employment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list. All personnel may be required to perform
duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To Reply, Email the Following:
1. Cover Letter
3. Plan for youth/young adult ministry