Director of Youth Job Profile
First Presbyterian Church, Houston, TX
First Presbyterian Church Mission Statement:
Compelled by the love of Jesus Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we carry the Gospel to Houston and to the world.
Youth Ministry Mission Statement
The Youth Ministry of FPC welcomes, encourages, and disciples middle school and high school aged students through evangelism, relationships, biblical teaching, small groups and missions; cultivating in them a lifestyle of purposeful discipleship to Jesus
General purpose of the position:
To oversee, nurture, train and encourage the Youth Staff and volunteer leaders; casting vision for the entire Youth Ministry, and logistically organizing a variety of Youth Ministry related events, trips and functions.
We are looking for a Christ-centered, prayerful, high energy, visionary leader who possesses a natural blend of connecting with students and engaging adult. This person will: foster a spirit of fun and joy, effectively lead and influence, cultivate a staff
culture of collaboration and excellence, and be highly motivated and adaptable. This person will be an excellent communicator who has a genuine, visible faith that is contagious.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Lead, train, develop, encourage and empower existing youth staff for ministry to all youth involved at FPC.
- Train and recruit youth volunteers for Sunday mornings, small groups, confirmation and seasonal trips.
- Cultivate parent involvement and communication, ensuring that Youth Ministry communication to parents is routine, clear and reliable.
- Be a bridge between the youth ministry and the broader church. Demonstrate consistent engagement in the life of the church staff and broader church community. Create ways in which youth can be active in the overall congregation and vice versa.
The Youth Director will oversee, empower, and support the youth staff to:
- Teach Sunday school, lead small groups, and college prep classes, and also participate in other teaching/leadership events.
- Follow-up with new students and parents to engage them into the church community (assimilation).
- Give significant leadership in relational ministry, mentoring and discipling of middle and high school students.
- Work with existing staff to plan retreats and trips.
- Give significant leadership in planning Confirmation, training and enlisting volunteers, recruiting Confirmands and conducting the course
- Encourage and Lead students to participate in worship and other FPC events.
- Participate in the life of FPC through worship and other FPC events and encourage and lead students to participate as well.
- Manage annual Youth calendar by planning 6 months to a year in advance and delegating tasks to Youth Staff by facilitating weekly Youth Staff meetings and prayer time
- Work with Young Adults and Children’s Ministry to ensure smooth transitions into and out of Youth Ministry
- Accomplished and proficient Christian faith with a demonstrated capacity to articulate and teach the historic reformed faith.
- Preferably 10+ years of leadership experience in full time ministry, primarily youth.
- Experience of supervising staff.
- Experience managing a budget, working to deadlines, executing with excellence.
- Adherence to the Essential Tenets of ECO