Position Objective: To provide non-ordained pastoral leadership to the contemporary music
ministry of Huntingdon Valley Presbyterian Church (HVPC), a 150-year-old, 200-member
congregation within the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.
Position Description: The director of contemporary worship oversees and leads contemporary
music at HVPC. This is a non-ordained pastoral position and requires the director to serve not
only as a musical director but also as an under-shepherd to the congregation and volunteers who
serve in this ministry.
• A clear testimony of faith and a vital, growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Commitment to moral purity.
• Commitment to the mission, vision, and worship philosophy of HVPC.
• Demonstrated excellence as a worship leader.
• A bachelor’s degree in music, Bible or theology.
• A pastor’s heart and a musician's chops.
• Relational skills and an enthusiastic presence for leading people in worship.
• Skilled in choral, vocal, and instrumental direction.
• Skilled in organization, administration, and interpersonal relationships.
• Skilled in the use of technology in worship and in the use of sound, lighting, computers,
ProPresenter, and Planning Center Online.
• Familiarity with digital sound boards and running sound in general.
• A team player with a positive attitude.
• Maintain an authentic and growing walk with Jesus Christ through the ongoing spiritual
disciplines of Bible reading, prayer, personal worship, fasting, confession, and
• Spend time developing relationships with lost people so as to be personally effective in
pursuing the Great Commission and helping the church to do the same.
• Build the necessary teams to carry out music ministry at HVPC.
• Plan worship services in consultation with the Senior Pastor and do that with prayer,
conceptual forethought, theological accuracy, and musical appropriateness.
• Ensure that all the musical and technical aspects of the service advance the theme for the
• Oversee song and choral selection, media preparation and presentation, sound and
lighting enhancements, and coordination of all instrumentalists, vocalists, and dramatists.
• Direct all weekly activities and rehearsals needed to facilitate music in the contemporary
• Work with the traditional music director on combined worship services such as Christmas
Eve, Thanksgiving Day, Fifth Tuesday Prayer Service, and Maundy Thursday.
• Provide pastoral care for the worship teams and choirs.
• Introduce our worship teams to worship training provided by other ministries, books, and
• Oversee the worship department budget, organization, and volunteers.
• Set annual goals for the worship ministry that are in line with church vision and then
evaluate how those goals were attained or modified during the year.
• Train and raise up youth in the church to serve in the music ministry.
Hours: 20 hours a week
Compensation: $20 an hour
Vacation: 3 paid weeks per year