PRIMARY PURPOSE: The Worship Pastor is to lead worship that is radically God-centered, offered in Spirit and truth, and whose most important instrument is the well-tuned heart of fully devoted
apprentices of Jesus. We desire that our music encourage worship within our intergenerational congregation, while creating an environment that will attract and facilitate passing the gospel on to the next generation.
Our worship music will …
- Utilize a modern music style, with a heavy dose of hymns and original songs
- Be contextualized within VCC’s church and local culture
- Cultivate a virtual VCC Worship Songbook that is theologically rich, musically diverse, with an emphasis on congregational participation
- Be led by a musically gifted Worship Pastor and a vibrant team of talented volunteer musicians, operating within a culture of creativity and collaboration
Lead worship through music. The Worship Pastor is responsible for implementing the vision and philosophy of music and worship at VCC.
- Partner with the Lead Pastor and Pastoral team in designing biblical worship services.
- Chair and lead VCC Worship Planning Team.
- Oversee Sunday morning worship services including planning, preparing participants, rehearsing, evaluation and improvement.
- Develop and oversee musical worship leaders for children's ministry, student ministries, other ministries, and special events and retreats.
Recruit, lead, and equip teams of volunteers to enable worship through music and arts.
- Build a sense of team and teamwork among the music ministry volunteers.
- Recruit, audition, interview, and select music team members.
- Train and develop all worship leaders, musicians, sound and media techs, and creative staff members so as to build breadth (number of qualified contributors) and depth (capability and quality of contribution) across the music and arts ministry.
- Develop and schedule worship-leading rotation with trained teams.
- Partner with Lead Pastor, Communications Director, and Graphic Designer to facilitate stage design and artistry for services and events.
Pastorally care for VCC Congregation and worship music volunteers.
- Show concern and care for individuals by building relationships (‘know me as an individual’).
- Disciple congregation and worship team in a theology of worship and worship practices (‘teach us to worship’).
- Facilitate congregational growth in their understanding and experience of worship.
- Is a full member of the Pastoral Team and participates in the weekly Pastoral Team meeting.
- Assist in other pastoral functions as appropriate, e.g. hospital visitation, pastoral counseling.
- Hold specific pastoral responsibilities based on his gifting, congregational needs, and the shared vision of VCC leadership.
Encourage and facilitate original worship songs for the good of VCC’s worship through music by fostering an atmosphere of creativity and collaboration within the musician community.
- Directly supervise Technical Director.
- Provide support for weddings, memorials, and other special events.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Spiritual Devotion - A love for Jesus exhibited by a life in accordance with the requirements of a biblical elder (1 Timothy 3: Titus 1)
- Doctrinal Conviction - expressed through wholehearted agreement with VCC's Seven Articles statement.
- Musical Skill - Musical training and expertise, including a commitment to ongoing development and the desire and ability to create fresh expressions of musical worship within the framework of biblical worship.
- Relational Skills - A warm love for others expressed in meaningful relationships.
- Pastoral Discernment - Pastoral instincts and spiritual wisdom to shepherd assigned staff, volunteers, and church members toward biblical sanctification.
- On-stage Leadership - Demonstrated ability to lead a congregation in gathered worship including leading musical groups on-stage.
- Leadership Development - Ability to recruit, lead, and develop staff, musicians, and volunteers, individually and collectively.
- Collaborative Spirit - The ability to work collaboratively with the Lead Pastor and all elders, pastors, staff members, ministry leaders, and volunteers.