About Grace Church
Grace Church is a Gospel-centered, compassionate congregation with a strong reputation for family ministry, discipleship, biblical preaching, intergenerational worship, world missions, and service to its community. Grace is a true reflection of its name:
spreading God’s love to a hurting world and growing lasting, loving connections to God and others. Grace Church has enjoyed uncommon stability with its pastoral staff in the last several decades. This stability has enabled Grace to grow deep ministry roots.
Known for its dynamic children and youth programs, Grace’s goal is to give the young a lifetime foundation of biblical, substantive faith. Grace also resources families at every step on the faith journey, from early marriage to empty nest. Its adult ministries
provide rich learning and fellowship opportunities while its two contemporary worship services are intergenerational and participative. Under the umbrella of Grace Around the Corner, Grace provides hands-on ministry to the less fortunate in its immediate
area. Grace also houses a self-supported pre-school, the majority of whom are not attenders of the church.
About the Position
Grace Church is looking for a senior pastor who will provide innovative, experienced leadership in each of the following areas:
- Preaching and Teaching: according to Ephesians 4:1 (primary pastor and teacher), preach the whole counsel of God’s Word in theological depth, faithfulness, application and relevance, helping each believer transform and grow in his/her faith.
- Leadership and Administration: inspire a new era of ministry impact, helping the congregation hear God’s voice more clearly and establishing a more strategic and intentional vision going forward.
- Outreach and Missions: focus efforts on engaging millennials and their families, strategically coordinate local missions projects to serve less fortunate sectors of the community, and support national and international missions efforts.
- Pastoral care: provide congregational nurture and pastoral care, both directly and via the formation of a “culture of care” – tiers of volunteer leaders trained to come alongside those who are grieving and suffering health, financial, and other
Required Leadership Qualifications
- Has prior ministry experience; at least five of those years as a senior pastor of a smaller/same size church or associate pastor of a larger congregation
- Evidences godly character in all aspects of life and ministry as outlined in 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1 and 1 Peter 5
- Holds doctrinal positions consistent with Grace Church’s statement of faith
- Holds a master’s degree (MDiv or MA in Theology) from a reputable seminary theologically congruent with the beliefs of Grace Church
- Demonstrates ability to teach and preach the Word effectively
- Evidences a compatible/consistent ministry philosophy with the overarching ministry goal of Grace Church
- Visionary: understands Grace’s unique identity within the Bloomington/Normal church community
- Relational: leads by engaging with others on a personal level; gets to know others’ stories, strengths, hopes, dreams, and struggles; mentors with love, wisdom, humility, and grace
- Shepherd/nurturer: possesses a natural ability to listen, empathize, and be present
- Missional: passionate about living and sharing the Gospel, locally and internationally
- Experienced change manager: understands the dynamics of change within a legacy congregation; puts people and healthy processes over programs/agendas
- Big picture/systems thinker: sees how each part fits into a whole and how each part can better match the overall vision
- Strategic/intentional: understands how to get from Point A to B, and Point A to Z
- Delegator: has experience developing layers of leaders
- Authentic: is known for being real, approachable, and transparent
- Deeply spiritual: shapes his faith with a regular prayer and devotional life
About the Bloomington-Normal Area
The Bloomington-Normal community is located at the intersection of several interstate highways as well as an Amtrak passenger station and regional airport. The area is home to companies such as GROWMARK, Illinois Farm Bureau, State Farm Insurance Corporate
Headquarters, Illinois State University, Illinois Wesleyan University, Lincoln College, and Heartland Community College. Community public schools have garnered consistently high scores on the Illinois Report Card. The twin cities also claim over 56 park
and recreation sites, including a zoo, golf courses, aquatics centers, and tennis courts. Movoto.com recently ranked Normal and Bloomington as the top 2 out of 10 Best Places to Live in Illinois. In 2014, Forbes placed Bloomington-Normal in the Top 50 in
“Best Small Places for Business and Careers.
Salary: $80-85K plus health/retirement benefits and move costs.
To apply, send resume, references, link to preaching video, and personality test results (Myers Briggs, DISC, or Strengthsfinders) to:
Sally Morgenthaler, Griffith Coaching and Staffing email@example.com 303-870-7680.
Note: this search is managed by Griffith Coaching and Staffing. Please do not contact Grace Church directly.