Hillside Church is a congregation "on the grow." Our mission field is Silicon Valley (San Jose, California). We want to reach the under-evangelized people groups who have come from all over the world to Silicon Valley to work in the tech
industry. We also seek to connect with all segments of society within reach of our faith community. We primarily utilize contemporary worship styles, develop disciples and leaders through small group and one-to-one ministries
and reach out to all ethnic groups and segments of our community without distinction or separation.
Our aim is to bring all people into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and help them grow by equipping them to serve in His church and in this broken world. We seek growth through an emphasis on outreach to the unchurched community in San Jose (and
Santa Clara County) as we endeavor to meet the spiritual needs and individual needs of the whole person. We have a high view of God, His Scriptures, and the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20). We are committed to making Christ known and expository preaching.
We want to introduce people to Jesus Christ and encourage them to follow Him fully from the first steps of humble obedience through baptism to equipping themselves to do the work of ministry at home, at work, at play, or where ever they are.
Strategic Role Description: The Worship Arts Pastor will be the “director” of each worship service and for all special worship events. Not to misemploy theatrical terminology, but one could say that the lead pastor is the “producer” in terms
of setting the theme and overall direction for the ministry and worship service. At the same time Worship Pastor is the "director" of each service. The two collaborate. The Worship Pastor will oversee and coordinate all the details that a service encompasses.
Consequently, he must be a visionary who is creative in leading people to worship and exalt God. He must be a leader who can communicate a direction in a way that inspires those around him to join in the pursuit of that worship-vision with
excellence. This is a full-time position that reports directly to the Lead Pastor.
Education / Experience Level:
- At least 5 years’ experience creating, growing, and leading a worship ministry in a church with at least 500 people or more.
- "Formal" musical training and education helpful and preferred but not required.
- Theological education helpful and preferred but not required.
- Proven track record of building, growing and maintaining a ministry is a must.
- Must be able to play multiple instruments with proficiency or competency, read music, and be familiar with music theory.
- A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a vital, growing personal relationship with Him.
- Commitment to personal, moral purity.
- Commitment to the mission, Vision, and worship philosophy of Hillside Church and a willingness to help define, redefine, and refine it.
- Demonstrated excellence as a worship leader.
- Agreement with the Hillside Church statement of faith and leader-teacher profile.
- The ability to motivate, encourage, lead, organize and disciple people is a must.
- Must be a good coach and a take-charge individual.
- Shepherd’s heart.
- Must be a people person.
Skills and Abilities:
- A heart for the spiritual formation (discipleship) of those in the congregation and the worship ministry.
- Relational skills and an enthusiastic presence for leading a church in worship.
- Skilled in, vocal, and instrumental direction.
- Capable in organization, administration, and interpersonal relationships.
- A solid understanding of the use of technology in worship, including sound, lighting, computers, and video projection (i.e. Propresenter).
- A self-starter, someone who needs little supervision but is careful to communicate with others and the lead pastor as they all collaborate as a team.
- A team player with a positive attitude who is resilient and willing to take direction, while remaining capable of advocating his position with humility.
- Recognize the fine distinctions between 'performance' and fostering worship.
- Should have an appreciation for 'polish,' excellence, and have good 'eye skills.'
- Maintain a vital and growing walk with Jesus Christ through the ongoing spiritual disciplines of Bible reading, prayer, personal worship, and fellowship with accountability.
- Spend time developing relationships with lost people so as to be personally effective in pursuing the Great Commission and helping the church to do the same.
- Build the necessary teams to carry out the worship areas of Hillside Church.
- Maintain licensing for copyrighted worship music used at Hillside Church.
- Plan the corporate worship services in consultation with the Lead Pastor and do so with prayer, conceptual forethought, theological accuracy, and musical appropriateness.
- Ensure that all the musical and technical aspects of the service advance the theme for the day.
- Oversee song selection, media preparation and presentation, sound and lighting enhancements, and coordination of all instrumentalists, vocalists, and others as needed--with excellence.
- Oversee scheduling of and communication to worship leaders, worship team members, and audio/visual technicians for Sunday celebrations, utilizing tools such as Worshipplanning.com.
- Lead Participate in most worship services, yet also allowing others to lead as needed in order develop other leaders as we grow either through church planting or opening other campuses.
- Constantly recruit/audition new worship ministry volunteers.
- Provide coaching and oversight of the training of these volunteers (vocalists, instrumentalists, and audio/visual technicians) and never using the excuse, "they're only volunteers."
- Direct all weekly activities and rehearsals necessary to facilitate worship in services.
- Introduce our worship teams to worship training provided by other ministries, books, and conferences.
- Oversee the worship ministry budget, organization, and volunteers.
- Build contacts and relationships with local music ministry leaders in the Bay area.
- Set goals for the worship ministry that are in line with our vision and then evaluate how those goals were attained or modified during the year.
- Lead some form of spiritual development/devotional at every rehearsal.
- Hold an after-service time of prayer at every service.
- Accept other assignments and ministry opportunities as necessary and appropriate.
We know this seems like a lot!
Feel free to visit: www.hillside.org to 'kick the tires' or come see us!