Covenant United Methodist Church
Director of Children’s Ministry (Infant to 5th Grade) Job Description
Reports to Discipleship Pastor
Position Overview: The Director of Children’s Ministry is responsible for the overall worship, discipleship, and engagement of our children membership. This includes working with our Children’s Ministry team to create a comprehensive program
for our children.
Primary Areas of Responsibilities: Visioning, Leadership, and Management
- Provide visionary leadership for the Children’s Ministry team to accomplish the mission of Covenant and the children’s ministry department.
- Supervise and manage staff members including the Assistant Director of Children’s Ministry, Ministry Coordinator, and the childcare staff.
- Responsible for planning and executing ministries for children that grows their faith and relationship with Jesus Christ. This includes selecting curriculum from infant to 5th grade, leading a weekly worship, and other special events such as
VBS and retreats.
- Create a welcoming and safe environment for children and adults, coordinating the nursery, Sunday morning lessons, Sunday morning children’s worship, and Sunday night activities for children.
- Set and oversee ministry budgets and the facilities provided. Communicate with the Covenant Christian Academy regarding shared spaces, furniture, and facilities.
- Implement Safe Sanctuary policies and procedure for the nursery and children’s ministries. Actively engage parents to volunteer and participate in children’s ministry activities.
- Engage in continuing education opportunities associated with children’s ministry to improve current ministries.
- Lead quarterly parent meetings and volunteer workshops monthly. Oversees and leads the Children’s Ministry Team.
- Connect and communicate effectively with children, adults, and families concerning spiritual matters.
- Be a creative, dependable, and energetic self-starter who sees children’s ministry as a calling from God.
- Be strong in organization, delegation, and planning skills for ministries and programs.
- Model a personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ and perform all other duties as assigned by the pastoral and leadership team.
The Director of Children’s Ministry position is employed by the Staff Parish Relations Committee and shall work under the supervision of the Discipleship Pastor and Executive pastor.
Education and Experience: This position requires a strong spiritual background and commitment to the church and to the ministry of the church. A minimum of five years of experience building and growing a children’s ministry and possession
of a bachelor’s degree in Christian education, elementary education or early childhood education is preferred. The candidate must have a proven track record of effective leadership, judgment, and above reproach character.
Compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Interested parties should forward a complete application packet to Jerry Temple – email@example.com and Gryff Carosiello – firstname.lastname@example.org. It should include the following:
- Cover letter with general background information, family, community involvement, and hobbies
- Current resume
- List of 3 references