CREEKSIDE UMC EXECUTIVE PASTOR
The role of the Executive Pastor (XP) is to assist the Senior Pastor (SP) in overseeing the life and direction of the church under the leadership of the SP and the Creekside Admin Board (Board) and Creekside Ministries Council (Council). This will require
a firm grasp of the beliefs, values and strategy of Creekside UMC (Creekside) and the ability to align staff and key leadership teams with its mission. The XP will offer pastoral and administrative leadership to the congregation alongside the SP and Lay Leaders.
The XP will ensure that the systems, practices, and policies of the church responsibly and effectively support its ministry strategy, vision and activities.
- This is a full-time ministry staff position, accountable to the SP and the SPR team.
- Workweek schedule will allow for some flexibility and should be set up with the SP, but expect the dynamic position of the role will determine much of the schedule.
- There will be opportunity for continuing education and vacation, which will be detailed in the employment package.
- A vital personal relationship with Jesus Christ and a commitment to a Christian lifestyle.
- Gifted and experienced in the areas of administration, finance, operations and organizational leadership and management.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including openness, integrity and honesty in relationships.
- The ability to work effectively in team situations, as well as the ability to work independently.
- Willingness to fully support the leadership direction of Creekside UMC.
1. Strategic Leadership and Planning
Responsible for strategic planning and staff coordination in the execution of the church’s mission and vision. Define strategic goals and action plans. The XP will provide the catalyzing challenges and activities which allow Creekside to remain true to its
mission and vision, and in coordination with the Board and Council develop new ministry programs so that the church is appropriately responsive to identified needs and church health. This leadership and input will be provided through many activities, including:
- Coordinating and leading staff meetings in partnership with the SP and engaging other activities designed to clarify and execute Creekside’s goals and objectives. Facilitating regular meetings with the staff leadership.
- Serving as a staff liaison to the Board and Council. Providing leadership in vision casting and goal setting.
- Monitoring the pulse of the congregation through research and evaluation.
- Ensuring staffing, facilities and programs are appropriately and effectively aligned to best meet strategic goals.
- Fulfilling other pastoral and administrative duties as requested by the SP.
2. Staff Supervision and Development
Provides leadership to the staff team and serves as personnel director for pastors and paid staff. The XP will lead, evaluate, and mentor existing staff in their respective areas of ministry and prioritize staff additions. Includes the following responsibilities:
- Supervising the staff leadership team as it relates to day-to-day ministry and operational activities.
- Overseeing training and development for staff and ministry leaders.
- Implementing the hiring and dismissal process following direction and guidance from the SP and the Staff Parrish Relations team (SPR).
- Providing coaching to the staff in the design and implementation of all church ministries including periodically evaluating appropriate changes to organizational structure.
- Implementing strategies for salary reviews as part of the annual budgeting process.
- In coordination and support from SPR, serve as human resources manager and/or supervising staff or lay leaders performing these functions. Overseeing insurance and other benefits, conducting performance evaluations, and providing on-going informal performance
Oversee and execute the administration of the church through appropriate staff, lay leadership teams, and consultants (as needed). Ensure the completion of business, facility, and logistical
support functions through staff and volunteers. Responsibilities include:
- Serving as the chief financial officer providing oversight and direction in the large variety of financial functions of the church including: stewardship campaigns, cash flow, contributions, insurance, banking and financing, payroll, leases, budget development
- Overseeing campus development to ensure future facility acquisitions and expansions are consistent with the vision and values that drive Creekside’s ministry strategy. Providing oversight to property purchases and leases and the design, construction and
operations of existing and future facilities.
- Ensuring the church’s technology infrastructure creates efficiencies and allows for continued ministry growth and innovations. Primary technology systems include but are not limited to church management solutions, accounting software, computer network,
telecommunications and technology systems to support the creative arts.
- Leading and ensuring the development of the of the Creekside volunteer organization to effectively support all of the key ministry strategies and programs.
4. Marketing and Communications
Responsible for protecting and promoting Creekside’s unique identity or “brand” through internal and external communications. Ensure that the message is communicated with quality and creativity and with the primary target, the unchurched, always in mind.
- Giving direction to the marketing and public relations activities of the church (through staff and volunteers)
- Reviewing communications guidelines and monitoring print and Web communications to make sure the message stays focused and consistent with Creekside’s vision and values.