Seneca Creek is a dynamic church located in the DC Metro area, serving a culturally diverse population. We are a missional church committed to developing Christ followers whose faith is real and relevant in everyday life. We are a grace-filled community,
meeting people where they are and inviting them to join us in the journey of following Christ.
We are searching for a strategic thinking, visionary, highly relational student ministry pastor to lead our high school ministry into the future. We understand that today’s students are put off by organized religion and skeptical of authority but they are
intrigued by Jesus. We know that reaching today’s students requires more than just a new model of ministry; it’s a whole new conversation. We’re passionate about engaging students and addressing the messy and complex questions that they are asking.
Seneca Creek allows its student ministry pastors wide latitude to innovate and the freedom to pursue new ideas. The ideal candidate will collaborate with our middle school director to develop long-term goals across middle and high school ministry. The high
school pastor will sit on the staff alignment team to foster collaboration and integration of students into the wider church body. This position has future potential to include leadership of college and young adult ministry with multiple paid staff.
Ideal candidates must have experience ministering in a multi-ethnic, racially diverse context. They must be comfortable entering the messy world of teenagers and willing to reach out to teens who are far from God. They must be able to confidently address
relevant issues facing students with grace and truth that is not judgmental or condemning. They must possess excellent public speaking skills with the ability to contextualize the gospel in culturally relevant ways that include the effective use of media.
It is critical that candidates are able to relate to and develop adult volunteers while at the same time develop a strong student leadership team. The ideal candidate must be self-motivated and a self-starting, able to think strategically, and define a path
forward to accomplish ministry initiatives.
Qualifications and Abilities:
- A mature faith in Christ demonstrated by a life that is growing in the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)
- Minimum five years experience leading in student ministry
- Formal youth ministry and/or theological training from an accredited institution
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to build rapport with adult volunteers and students.
- Strong cultural competence and the ability to minister effectively in a multi-ethnic, culturally diverse setting.
- Strong teaching gifts with the ability to develop and deliver culturally relevant messages that engage, challenge, and inspire students to grow.
- Big picture thinker with the ability to set strategy and long range goals
- Passion and willingness to manage the tension between outreach and discipleship.
- Ability to connect with a multi-ethnic congregation in a mixed urban/suburban setting.
- A team player with a commitment to the unity of the staff team and church
- Teachable and curious, continually pursuing personal and theological growth
- Ability to affirm, practice, and uphold an egalitarian theology.
- Ability to fully commit to the beliefs, mission, vision, and values of Seneca Creek Community Church
- Lead, manage, and oversee ministry to high school students (9th-12th grade) ensuring that programs and systems are aligned with the overall church vision and values and effectively accomplishing our mission.
- Recruit, equip and deploy teams of effective volunteers to carry out relational ministry that strives for excellence in reaching and discipling students.
- Develop a core team of student leaders who are actively engaged in planning and executing ministry.
- Plan, staff, and execute a Sunday worship experience that is relevant and engaging for high school students.
- Develop and lead an effective student small groups ministry that is strategically discipling students in biblical literacy and HOPE.
- Develop intentional activities and events designed to equip students to reach out and impact their schools, community, and world.
- Ensure that our Student Ministry is taking the precautions necessary to protect our students from injury or abuse and mitigating our risks by ensuring that our child protection policy is observed.
- Help develop and facilitate a cohesive ministry pipeline from childhood through young adult, including collaborating with other staff to develop effective bridges between age groups.
- Develop relationships and maintain regular communication with parents of students.
- Collaborate with other pastors and directors to carry out the churches strategic initiatives to effectively accomplish the mission and vision of the church.
- Read, study, attend seminars, network, etc. to ensure continual personal and professional growth.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes: health insurance, retirement savings plan with employer contributions, long-term disability insurance, continuing education funding, and paid vacation
and sick leave.
To apply send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resume and cover letter explaining your interest and reasons for applying for this position.
- A link to a current (within 9 months) podcast or other video / audio of your teaching and interacting with teenagers.
- A separate document in which you answer the following questions:
- Describe your philosophy of ministry and your core values for youth ministry.
- What are some of the most pressing issues facing teenagers today and how would you respond to those issues in student ministry?
- Describe your experience ministering in a racially or culturally diverse setting. What did you enjoy? What were the challenges?
- What is your position on women in church leadership?
- Why should yours be the only resume we look at? What sets you apart?