The Lead Technical Director/Audio Engineer supports the mission of Johnson University by providing leadership to live event production with a focus in audio.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with Director of Operations to facilitate production needs for university clients at all level of events including pre-production planning, rehearsals, and post-event services
- Serve as the primary audio engineer (A1) for all major live events and post production services
- Oversee lighting design for Chapel and other campus events
- Manage and train Media Services student technicians
- Coach and Mentor Media Services work-study students
- Manage and maintain all audio production equipment, systems, and facilities
- Manage and maintain inventory of portable production equipment
- Manage and maintain work room, tools, and inventory of supplies for campus production
Secondary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with maintenance of Media Services computers and software systems
- Participate in the creative process and planning for special events
- System Research, Design, and Integration to maintain a relevant standard of technology
Knowledge & Skills Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in audio engineering or equivalent experience including certifications
- Four years of production experience including live worship, live corporate, and studio.
- Broadcast audio experience is beneficial.
- Expert skill and knowledge of audio production
- Hearing in depth. Being able to recognize, articulate, and manipulate complex layers in sound in great detail.
- Be able to recognize frequency characteristics and quickly diagnose and troubleshoot live and post production mixes
- Intuitively mix various types of audio with appropriate musicality, tone, and dynamics
- Sensitivity to dynamic requirements of various types of audiences including volume leveland system response
- Live digital console and DAW workflows including Pro Tools (Certification preferred)
- Dante Protocol and basic IT networking
- Troubleshooting a variety of technical systems
- Production of common digital audio formats for distribution
- Must be competent in the understanding and use of different types of technologies (i.e., audio, video, lighting, projection systems) and how they integrate in a live worship production environment.
- Must be proficient in ProPresenter and other presentation technology
- Must be competent in creative and technical lighting fundamentals
- Must be familiar with lighting consoles and basic programming workflows for both worship and corporate functions.
- Experience with Jands Vista or other current systems preferred
- Prefer a working knowledge of post-production software platforms
- Well-versed in Mac Os and Windows platforms
- Must be able to analyze, organize, prioritize and coordinate a variety of work assignments
- Must be able to communicate and delegate effectively
- Must continually self-educate and grow in all aspects of technical production
- Must be able to remain calm and act and communicate swiftly, precisely, and effectively in high-pressure productions and other mission-critical situations
- Service focused, proactive, self-motivated and must naturally take ownership in the big picture vision for events being served and duties assigned
- Flexible and willing to adjust to changes on-the-fly while maintaining composure
- Patient and understanding when mistakes happen
- Excellence must be a habit
- Must be available for extended hours during special events
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs
- Must be able to work in standing position for long periods of time
- Must be willing to work at heights including safe operation of man lifts