Job Title: Pastor of Student Ministries - Youth Pastor
Classification: Youth Pastor
One-Sentence Job Description: Make Christ-centered disciples of the youth and youth volunteers of Discovery while equipping parents to be the primary spiritual influence in the life of their teens.
Direct Report: This position reports directly to the Pastor of Family Ministries
è Time owning Vision, Mission & Values that grow a vibrant Student Ministry
(Anticipated time 5%)
è Teaching & Pastoral Care (Anticipated time 30%)
- Develop (and be a part of) a teaching /preaching team for weekly group gatherings
- Oversee a team that prepares a yearly teaching calendar and plan that uniquely targets mid high –high school students and fits the 5C model. (community, crowd, congregation, committed, core)
- Ensure youth grow in their understanding of Scripture and application to life
- Provide one-on-one mentoring/counseling as needed
- Develop and oversee a mentoring ministry
- Provide support and coaching to parents as the primary disciplers of their teens
- Provide oversight and direction for all 6th-12th grade weekly programs
è Volunteer Development (Anticipated time 40%)
- Interview, enlist and develop volunteers to lead the youth in a manner consistent with the vision of Discovery’s Family Ministries.
- Oversee high school students to serve and use their gifts to “serve an hour”. (Focus on fuel 45 and Jr High mentors)
- Delegate roles of ministry to volunteers according to their giftedness to facilitate their spiritual growth and students
- Care for and develop community among volunteers by relationally investing in them separately and collectively
- Ensure all youth workers understand safety concerns and follow church safety policies and procedures
è Administration (Anticipated time 20%)
- Manage youth ministry budget
- Coordinate scheduling for classes, meetings, and events (at Discovery and off-site)
- Develop a team to plan out the yearly calendar with events, camps, mission trips, etc.
- Implement /and or maintain methods of communication for students and parents (email, social media, etc)
- Coordinate communication & marketing with other Discovery staff
- Recruit and oversee all teams including welcome, follow up, media (sound, lights and video)
è Community (Anticipated time 5%)
- Recruit leaders to attend games, plays, and other extracurricular activities of youth (when needed, hospital visits)
- Attend student lunches and develop relationships with school officials
- Team Player
- Ability to cast and communicate vision creatively, consistently and clearly in a winsome manner
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, relational skills and emotional IQ, with the ability to encourage and inspire
- Ability to create/evaluate/continually modify effective Systems for efficiency and ministry growth
- Effective Preaching/teaching skills with clear evidence of teaching for transformation
- Ability to develop teams and lead people to do ministry
- Integrity. Thick skin and can laugh. Soft heart. Passion for Christ. Passion for discipleship (holistic discipleship, not just Bible study). Fun to be around. Financial wisdom. Loyalty.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, but prefer a Masters in Ministry.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a full time ministry setting (500+ membership) where the above qualifications have been demonstrated and abilities to perform above responsibilities proven.
From dedication to graduation, our desire is to equip parents to raise adults
who know and love Jesus. (Discovery Family Ministries Vision)