Welcome Desk Coordinator
Reports to: Office Manager
Date Prepared: 9/28/2016
FLSA: Non-Exempt, hourly
Last Date Revised: 4/12/2018
The Welcome Desk Coordinator is the primary face and voice of Foundry for both the general public and Foundry membership Monday through Friday. The ideal candidate would be a team player and multi-tasker who thrives on radical hospitality and welcoming all.
Utilizing Foundry language, the Welcome Desk Coordinator is known to the community as the Welcome Desk and Hospitality Associate.
The Welcome Desk Coordinator provides front-of-house reception directly with onsite guests, phone coverage, support for community programming, and referrals/resources for the often vulnerable persons who seek out an urban church community.
- Stay informed of current Foundry resources and programs and communicate such information to public audiences and the Foundry community.
- Remain current of the community resources Foundry recommends and outsources in order to field common public inquiries from individuals seeking social services (including, but not limited to: meal services; emergency housing; utility/rental/mortgage assistance
for Washington, DC residents; pro bono legal needs).
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the services Foundry provides in-house in order to field common public inquiries from individuals seeking social services (including, but not limited to: ID Ministry, English as a Second Language, Clothing Closet).
- Exercise relational intelligence when guiding individuals through the process of securing an appointment with Foundry’s ID Ministry; employ diplomacy and best practices when adapting communication to the needs of the individual requesting assistance.
- Serve as core administrative facilitator for Foundry church members through their congregational life stages, as needed (as example: communicating requests for pastoral care; connecting with the pastoral team about deaths, births, illnesses, baptisms).
- Assist Operations/Administrative staff with vendors and service technicians, as needed, for consultation and repairs.
- Support the Office Manager in planning partnership details and logistical requirements of hosting a diverse scope of ministry/special hospitality events (including, but not limited to: church partnerships; social justice community events involving regional
and national church leaders, and local city leadership; hosting of out of town guests; facilitating guided tours of Foundry)
- Assert event-checklist mentality and relational skill when executing coordination of Foundry and partner events; demonstrate excellent event time management and ability to engage key support staff to successfully host and manage events from setup to teardown.
- Relay feedback from Foundry community and the public to the appropriate ministry leaders and staff members, in order to foster the improvement of hospitality and services Foundry provides.
- Exercise strong relational intelligence that translates well to representing Foundry’s local, national, and international leadership and hospitality standard.
- Handle receipt and distribution of delivery packages/expedited mail and out-going mail
- Maintain professional, organized, and hospitable appearance of the Welcome Desk; monitor Welcome Desk supplies and communicate inventory needs to Office Manager.
- Work within the church management software to input data; create and pull reports and member information.
- Occasionally work on Saturdays or Sundays to serve in hospitality roles as directed by your supervisor.
- Occasionally assist other staff members with event/ministry scheduling and setup, as directed by the Office Manager.
- Participate in administrative and full staff team meetings, staff trainings/retreats, and team-building opportunities.
- College Degree and/or 3 – 5 years experience in relevant field.
- Experience in social work, hospitality, restaurant services, and/or mental health preferred
- Keen knowledge of a hospitality ethos, customer service principles, and practices
- Knowledge of computers and relevant software applications is a must (i.e. introductory knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Office Suite – Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Comfortable working with vulnerable populations; willingness to learn and employ de-escalation skills
- Keyboard skills
- Frequently required to stand, walk quickly, and climb stairs.
- Regularly required to sit; to use hands to handle or feel; to reach with hands and arms; to talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to climb, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 10 lbs and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus.
- Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the ministry, mission, goals and Statement of Call of Foundry United Methodist Church.
- Interpersonal Skills:
- Display a level of maturity which will ensure that appropriate boundaries are in place and that he/she will adhere to principles of staff covenant with specific attention to honoring privacy, and confidentiality of both staff and congregation, and abiding
by Safe Sanctuary policies as applicable and necessary.
- Exemplify a commitment to diversity and inclusion in all areas of the workplace.
- Demonstrate a positive, engaging, and respectful attitude at all times.
- Demonstrate a willingness to accept additional responsibilities and duties.
- Team Building Skills: Participate in staff meetings and team planning activities.
- Organization Skills: Demonstrate the ability to:
- Focus, prioritize, schedule and manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Honor commitments and meet deliverables on time.
- Communicates effectively in written and spoken communication.
- Develop and implement checklists when appropriate.
- Technical Skills: Possess the ability and willingness to:
- Operate common office equipment.
- Understand, implement, and convey essential computer programs.
- Learn new programs/equipment and recommend appropriate processes.
- Spiritual Maturity: Attentive to personal spiritual development, discipline, and growth.