The Midland Evangelical Free Church, Midland, Michigan, has a full-time Children’s Pastor/Director position. The purpose of the position is to work collaboratively with parents, volunteers and children from infant to fifth grade and implement the mission
of the church, which is to Make, Mature and Multiply Disciple-Makers of Jesus.
- Committed Christian who is either a member of Midland Evangelical Free Church or eligible for membership
- Calling from God to minister to children and their families
- College education at Bachelor’s degree level is required; seminary training preferred
- Previous experience in a large church of 1,000 or more is a plus
- Spiritually mature with a good grasp of Biblical content and principles
- Spiritually gifted in Leadership, Administration, and Shepherding
- Ability to set vision and strategic direction for Children’s Ministry
- Ability to recruit, equip, and lead volunteer workers for children’s ministry
- Good organizational, communication, team building, and management skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook
- Reports to Executive Pastor
- Supervises paid Children’s Ministry staff
- Supervises paid Program Director of Firm Foundations Early Learning Center
- Attends weekly Pastoral Team meetings and other staff events
A. Overall Leadership of Children’s Ministry
- Provide vision and direction for Children’s Ministries (including Sunday school, children’s worship, Firm Foundations Early Learning Center, and other programs/events)
- Develop and communicate educational goals that are appropriate for each age/grade level and are consistent with the church’s stated purpose
- Develop and implement an appropriate set of policies and standards to insure safety of children in all Children’s Ministry programs and events (Risk Management, Emergency procedures, Background checks of paid and volunteer staff, etc.)
- Develop annual ministry plans and budget
- Keep the Children’s Ministry at the forefront by regularly communicating its needs, present issues, and future direction to pastoral staff, Elder board, parents, volunteers, and congregation.
B. Oversight of Children’s Ministry Volunteer Staff
- Develop and implement a volunteer staffing plan which includes recruitment, training, evaluation, and recognition.
C. Oversight of Curriculum Selection
- Ensure a comprehensive curriculum plan exists, and oversee the selection of specific curriculum that is aligned with the church’s statement of faith and the educational and spiritual growth goals of the Children’s Ministry.
- Provide teacher support and evaluation of curriculum / teaching plan for Children’s Sunday school program. Solicit feedback on curriculum and student learning to continuously improve the effectiveness of the Children’s Sunday school program.
D. Coordination of Other Children’s Programs
- Coordinate and provide oversight to special children’s programs and events (including, but not limited to: annual Children’s Sunday, SHiNE Children’s Choir, Parent-Child Dedications, Romp & Stomp, Mommy & Me, etc.)
E. Working Collaboratively with Parents
- Support the biblical mandate that parents have the primary responsibility to evangelize and disciple their children (provide resources and, as necessary, training for parents)
- Collaborate with other church ministries to offer family-friendly programs and events (i.e., for the whole family)