CityChurch Associate Pastor Job Responsibilities
Overview of The Role:
CityChurch, located in the vibrant city of Charlotte, North Carolina, is actively looking to fill the position of Associate Pastor for a growing and diverse church. Under the direction of the Lead Pastor, the Associate Pastor will take responsibility for
the continued health and development of significant parts of the life of the church. One of the most important contributions to this role is the ability to support and collaborate with the staff and Lead Pastor.
Context and Purpose of the Role:
CityChurch began with a developing relationship between the Charlotte community and a contemporary Anglican church in the center of London. Out of this relationship, Al and Niki Hardy planted the church in 2007, with the first services taking place in their
kitchen. Eventually, the location upgraded from kitchen, to warehouse, to purchasing the current campus in the diverse and eclectic neighborhood of Plaza Midwood in 2013.
Across the street from Veterans Park, the physical location of CityChurch is centered in an exciting neighborhood just outside of uptown Charlotte. Plaza Midwood is home to art galleries, breweries, parks, and a myriad of other entertainment venues. This
neighborhood suits the diverse and energetic lifestyles of our congregants, with our community known for holding “Church Night Outs” at the local pub. This growing community is just one tranche in the rapidly developing Charlotte region, ranked in the top
20 fastest growing cities, despite the fact that the cost of living remains below the national average.
The church community has seen substantial growth over the past several years, which necessitated the nearly 50% increase in the full-year budget and addition of a second service last year to account for over 40% growth in attendance since 2014. Average Sunday
attendance has only increased with the addition of this second service, totaling nearly 300 attendees each Sunday, or approximately 30% growth over a year ago. Given this growth in the congregation, outreach in the Plaza Midwood community has substantially
expanded as well, with strong partnerships established between the church and other organizations such as Refugee Support Services and Merry Oaks International Academy. The life of the church has only enrichened, with 50% of our partners active in Life Groups,
over 30% leading a ministry, and 80% of our partners involved in ministry.
Services are deliberately informal with an emphasis on encountering God through worship, hearing God’s Word, and responding to the leading of the Holy Spirit. They are authentic, powerful, determinedly “religion free” and a lot of fun to be at.
The purpose of the Associate Pastor position is to assist in the management of this dynamic and growing congregation and to advance the vision of CityChurch to be a “Lighthouse” in our community that is focused on the following:
- Building a Truly Engaging Community
- Enabling Life-Changing Encounters with God
- Facilitating Genuine Discipleship
- Engaging in Courageous Evangelism
- Commitment to Impactful Outreach
Key Areas of Ministry Responsibility:
As the church has grown and as we look to further growth in the future we are now looking for this Associate Pastor to take on leadership and oversight of the pastoral heart and regular functioning of the church. As well as being able to bring their gifts
to build the church body, this Associate will free up our Lead Pastor into his strategic, evangelistic and preaching gifts. Principally, we are looking therefore, for an Associate Pastor with a passion and gifting for Pastoral care, discipleship, and mentoring
of the many emerging leaders across the church. Specifically, that breaks down into the following areas:
1. Architect key ministry systems
- Take over leadership of the discipleship team, make it your own by identifying and implementing tangible ways to grow discipleship within the church through mentoring and training program. In the first year, establish at least one strategy for growing
discipleship at CityChurch
- Form a pastoral care team and create a clear vision for how pastoral care is accomplished in the congregation
- Enhance our ability to care for, support and evaluate missionaries and missions teams in addition to mobilizing teams and exploring and empowering congregational gifts
2. Provide point leadership for existing congregation-led teams
- Establish trust with each team leader
- Schedule regular coaching appointments with each leader
- Develop a planning process for each team (including budget)
- Recognize and develop new opportunities that impact our surrounding community and congregation
3. Optimize systems and oversee staff performance/execution
- Establish a solid coaching relationship with each direct report: church operations/facility manager and church communication director
- Ensure growth in their role through reaching goals, taking on more levels of responsibility and empowering others to do some of their tasks
- Oversee the organization of annual church weekend away
4. Partner with Lead pastor in key areas of pastoral care
- Regularly leading services and preaching around 10 times a year
- Weddings, funerals, home and hospital visits
- Provide balance, collaboration and connection with teamwork
- Plugging Partners into meaningful, transforming roles
- Demonstrate a passion for Jesus and the gospel
- Vibrant personal spirituality
- Exhibit an understanding of and passion about the unique dynamics within the role of associate pastor
- Be highly competent, proactive, creative and an excellent communicator with all manner of people
- Have an encouraging, positive attitude and be a “go-to” leader with a pastor’s heart
- Must be passionate about embodying CityChurch’s mission, values and culture.
Key Gifting Requirements:
We envision this leader serving as a figure who promotes the unified vision and goals of CityChurch. The Associate Pastor will be expected to oversee, arrange, supervise and coordinate many projects with staff and partners. This person must possess drive
and determination to actively pursue a variety of ideas and concepts that positively impact the health and development of the church. The Associate Pastor should possess theological sagacity, an open spirit and initiative.
The Associate Pastor will also provide guidance and insight regarding church operations, events and partner led teams. This person must have the ability to manage varied teams (both staff and lay) towards successful implementation. This leader must be gifted
in direct personal supervision promoting a creative atmosphere for the Lead Pastor to strategically plan, devote time for partner emphasis and sermon series.
We value an Associate Pastor who can identify intrinsic value within each staff person and church partner and empower them. Identifying and placing people in roles and environments that play to their strengths requires skills in listening and observing.
This person must possess tremendous energy and courage to train, grow and focus in areas where investment will go a long way. Empowering, rewarding and affirming grow individuals to their maximum potential. A passion for relating and relationship should
characterize this person.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of leadership experience as a pastor on the staff of a church
- The capacity to lead prayer ministry in a model similar to that used in Vineyard churches
- BA/BS degree
- Theological and pastoral training (MA or MDiv is preferred, but we are open to other ways of demonstrating this)
- Multiple specific ministry achievements flowing from skills requiring initiative and tenacity
- A successful track record in raising up and mentoring church staff, adult ministry leaders and teams
This is a full-time position.
Details of Salary and Benefits available upon application.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Both documents should be combined as one PDF with the file titled “CityChurch APPLICANT NAME.” Requests for more information can be sent to the above email
address, although we cannot guarantee responses to all inquiries.
Closing date for applications: June 30, 2018