Wellshire Presbyterian Church is a creative, mainline Presbyterian/Protestant community that seeks to grow as a community by making disciples of Jesus Christ. Our life in Christ together is centered in dynamic worship with a long history of music excellence.
We embrace a joyful and spirit-filled worship for our congregation and visitors.
Wellshire is currently seeking an experienced, senior-level worship leader to fill our Director of Music and Worship Arts position. The Director of Music and Worship Arts is an integral part of the program team, charged with the task of leading people of
all ages in the Presbyterian and Reformed tradition of worship experiences. This dynamic individual should display proven experience and passion for developing, implementing, and programming both traditional and non-traditional worship through music. Particular
focus will be placed on the ability to thrive in both classical and contemporary worship settings.
Located in beautiful Southeast Denver, Colorado, the mission of Wellshire Church is to seek, embrace, and nurture disciples within a community of hope that plays together, sings of God’s glory, and celebrates Jesus Christ through service. Wellshire Church
will be in the exciting position of having a newly re-modeled sanctuary and narthex in 2018.
The following is a current list of Wellshire’s music programs and resources:
- Sanctuary Choir - a 50+ member choir
- Celebration Singers - a smaller choral ensemble
- Confluence – ensemble consisting of vocalists and a 3-piece rhythm section (piano, bass, drums) with occasional brass and/or other instruments
- Youth and Children’s choirs
- Celebration Ringers bell choir
- A part-time organist position, which is currently held by an interim organist/pianist
- Section leaders and soloists have been employed for special events
- 55-rank Casavant pipe organ
- Three grand pianos, one upright piano, and one harpsichord
- Yamaha Clavinova Digital Piano
- Roland RD-700 Digital Piano
- 5 octave set of Schulmerich handbells
- 5 octave set Schulmerich hand chimes
- Large music library
- Music Director office
- Multiple rehearsal spaces
- Plans, schedules, rehearses, directs, recruits, and/or oversees all choirs to participate in worship and lead the congregation in year-round programming, to include (currently) two worship services (traditional and contemporary), special liturgical services,
memorial services, weddings, fellowship groups, and special church and community performances and/or recitals.
- Recruits and hires, with the approval of the Head of Staff, instrumentalists.
- Continually recruits new choir members and participants for the worship services and music and worship arts activities from the congregation and community.
- Provides/arranges for musicians at special church events, as requested.
- Facilitates Christian fellowship and educational/growth opportunities for all church musicians, including such things as retreats, workshops, and tours.
- Maintains church resources such as the music library, robes, and instruments.
- Works collaboratively and pro-actively with the Head of Staff, worship leaders, staff, and volunteers to plan and coordinate music and worship arts throughout all programming.
- Explores, develops, and implements new avenues for Wellshire’s music and worship arts programs, including new and innovative programs, attractive to the community.
- Actively participates in the life of the church, attending church events and functions, and assisting staff and/or committees in the planning and implementation of such events.
- Provides creativity, innovation and vision to the strategic planning process of maintaining and growing the worship experience of the congregation and visitors.
- Attends and actively participates in staff meetings and other functions
- Attends monthly Session meetings, upon request.
- Writes articles for the website and/or bulletin.
- Attends and supports the work of the Worship and Arts Committee, as staff liaison.
- Represents Wellshire in PCUSA and Denver Presbytery worship and music gatherings.
- Handles and/or recruits church volunteers for a range of support tasks.
- Adheres to the Session approved budget for the Music and Art Department.
- Active participant in faith community
- Master’s Degree in music, or equivalent education and applicable music experience
- Proven experience in developing, implementing, and growing music and worship arts
- Skills in choral and instrumental conducting
- Experience in worship planning
- Ability to accompany (piano) desired
- Clear concept of being an integral part of the program team
- Knowledge of choral repertoire and familiarity with a variety of rehearsal techniques
- Ability to program a wide variety of musical styles and forms of art
- Computer and technology skills to include use of audio-visual equipment and technology-assisted practice techniques
- Possess an encouraging personality and the ability to work with singers and musicians at various skill levels and of all ages and genders
- Willingness and ability to work collaboratively (local & regional) with institutions including and not limited to: other Churches, High Schools, Colleges and other administrations that are possible resources for vocal talent, musicians and interns
- Must have a passion for Christian Music with a knowledge that transcends Classical to today’s Contemporary work
- Ability to foster a sense of family and community within the choir while simultaneously achieving the choir’s shared goal of choral excellence
Salary & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Health insurance through selected insurance approved by Session
- 1 month (4 Sundays) vacation
- 2 weeks study leave/continuing education
- Relocation assistance