Delta United Methodist Church
Discipleship Associate, Youth, Children and Young adults
Goal: To assist in the leading the community and church using their gifts, insight and presence to lead others on their faith journey with a concentration of continual development in areas of youth, young adults and children.
Responsible to: Pastor of Delta UMC
Qualifications and Position Requirements:
- Profess Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior and show “fruitfulness.”
- Possess a College Degree or Bible School degree ( ie. BA in Christian Studies) and/or experience in youth ministry
- Competent in Bible teaching and speaking to Jr.-Sr. High students and young adults
- Creative, organized and passion for youth ministry
- Highly motivated and self-driven
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate with a variety of people, including pastors, youth, parents and community members.
Commitment required: This person in this position should consider a three-year commitment
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit, train, equip staff and laity as Spiritual Nurturers of Youth and as Leaders of the Youth Ministry to work alongside you in ministering to students. Be a delegator.
- Meet at least monthly with ministry teams for prayer, inspiration, support and planning
- Brainstorm how to improve ministry; constantly seek improvement
- Maintain and manage a safe and able team roster by adhering to DUMC Safe Sanctuary Policy; coordinate background checks; character observation etc.
- Visit with ministry team members personally every 3-6 months
- Train leaders/volunteers in Safe Sanctuary policies
- Empower team members to organize and execute ministry events.
- Personal contact with youth; two per week minimum
- Attend local events that students are a part of; sports, concerts, plays, etc.
- Have direct contact with students; have lunch together; participate in games together; watch a movie together etc.
- Have indirect contact with students; texting, social media, etc.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries with students. See Safe Sanctuary Policy
- Plan Weekly Wednesday afternoon youth group
- Lead and coordinate Biblical teaching each week
- Provide an experiential element most weeks; prayer, worship, reflection, etc.
- Lead and coordinate an activity that unifies the group most weeks; game, team building activity, free time to hang out, etc.
- Promote and grow the youth program with informed and defined calendar of events
- Plan a monthly event for students to participate in outside youth group
- Organize retreats, mission trips, fellowship events, service events, etc
- Plan all events at least 1 month in advance. Plan big events at least 3 months in advance. Plan all multiple day events at least 6 months in advance.
- Plan events with a goal in mind. For example: intentionally reaching out to the unchurched or building a community within the youth group.
- Plan and organize fundraisers for trips as needed.
- Promote Youth Group via social media
- Run, or delegate somebody to run all social media pages. Ensure they are current and utilize proactivity to communicate important information and connect with others.
- Maintain contact with students and parents, keeping them informed of ongoing activities. Keep parents updated on ministry strategies and plans in a way that encourages partnership and involvement.
- Send information directly to parents
- Have parent meetings when necessary
- Provide opportunities for growing youth to become involved in one-on-one discipleship.
- Train adults to disciple students one on one.
- Encourage youth to use their talents in worship and other church activities.
- Continue to develop your personal youth ministry philosophies through reading, talking with other youth ministers and attend conferences.
- Maintain contact with youth graduation to help them transition to Adult Ministries.
- Attend at least one congregational church service per week.
- Be involved in a small group.
- Preach as needed, in accordance with the Pastor’s schedule
- Meet at least weekly with the Pastor
- Prepare, submit and administer a youth ministry budget/annual goals for the church fiscal year.
- Prepare and submit an annual summary report of the mission, goals, plans and successes in youth ministry
- Attend meetings for and be prepared to give monthly reports to SPRC, Finance, Administrative Council and Pastor as requested.
- Create and submit article and photos for monthly newsletter.
- Participate in the life of the church and larger community, as appropriate
- Perform additional duties as needed and as determined with the pastor
Records and Materials:
- The Employee agrees that all materials, resources and computer programs purchased by the Employer as well as all records, print or electronic data, pertaining to the work of the Delta UMC Youth Ministries position are property of Delta UMC
- The Employee agrees that all equipment provided by the United Methodist Church of Delta remains property of UMC.
- Competitive salary based on qualification.
- Full Time
- Attend and serve at all worship and special services, including Church events.
Send resume, testimony and salary requirements to email@example.com.