The Director of Music and the Arts is to provide staff leadership and direction for the musical and artistic elements of our Worship Services and community life. The Director of Music and the Arts will enlist the services of our music and artistic leaders
and support and encourage them as they serve in these roles. This is a full-time paid position.
The Director of Music and the Arts is responsible to the Lead Pastor and is accountable to the congregation through the Executive Team for overall performance. The Director of Music and the Arts will supervise staff organists, Worship Team leaders, Visual
Arts Team Leaders, musicians, musical group directors and musical leaders.
The Director will supervise all other paid and unpaid musicians and provide leadership in coordinating schedules, musical selections and special music at all worship services. The Director will enlist musicians, coordinate the worship bands, set up schedules
and provide music for the band that is leading worship for the week. The Director will also provide leadership and direction for the Worship Bands.
- The Director will serve as the leader for one or more of these musical areas.
- Organize and lead all aspects of the contemporary worship service related to the worship team including instrumentalists, vocalists, and other artists
- Recruit new worship team musicians and vocalists, shepherd and train newer musicians to the team, and evaluate current worship team to maintain performance standards
- Lead worship planning team in the organization of each service including the selection of music, organization of theme, and other artistic elements
- Schedule worship team members' participation, and provide them with lead sheets, chord charts, sound recordings, etc. to assist in their preparation for rehearsals and worship
- Organize and lead weekly worship team rehearsals
- Ensure that instruments and equipment are well-maintained
- Introduce current contemporary songs from artists such as: Lincoln Brewster, The David Crowder Band, Hillsong United, Mercy Me and others.
- Select, enlist, train, and evaluate song leaders, accompanists, musicians. Ensure compliance with applicable copyright law
- Oversee Central’s music library by compiling contemporary music for worship and ensure that sheet music is available for musicians.
Visual Arts Ministry
The Director will enlist Visual Arts leaders and provide vision, direction and encouragement in the use of the visual arts in worship and in the Central facility as needed.
Worship Design TeamThe Director will meet as needed with the Pastor and with the design team to plan and design worship services. He/she will bring ideas to the table and help in facilitating the process of designing the services. He/she will help prepare
for all contemporary worship services - giving guidance and service to the worship team leaders, coordinators, volunteers, and participants of the worship services.
As a member of the Central staff team, the Director of Worship and the Arts will:
- Meet weekly with program and administrative staff.
- Recruit, train, and work with appropriate volunteer teams and be responsible for setting goals, budgeting, implementing and evaluating programs.
- Be flexible in assuming tasks as demands on other paid staff change and emergencies arise.
- Participate in Continuing Education opportunities with financial support from Central.
- Ability with voice and/or instruments to lead congregational singing.
- Member of an ELCA congregation or intent to become.
- Minimum of two years of experience or a combination of post-secondary education and experience in Christian musical leadership in a worship setting.
- Preferred - background in music performance and/or worship leadership.
- Bachelors Degree in music, theology, a related field or equivalent training/experience
- Committed and growing follower of Jesus Christ.
- Have a passion to reach people with the Gospel of Christ.
- Understands the importance of relationships with a variety of people in reaching people and doing ministry together.
- Is a team player in working with staff members, lay leaders, and volunteers.
- Is willing to think “outside the box” of traditional Lutheran and church culture in developing and growing musical ministries.
- Is willing and able to mobilize others for ministry as well as personally performing ministry tasks.
- Availability to lead worship on Wednesday evenings, Sunday mornings and Christian holidays.
CONSENT TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SEARCH:
Because this position involves interaction with all types of members of the church as well as community members, the church requires prospective employees to voluntarily submit to a criminal background check. By signing the necessary agreement, prospective
employees specifically consent to the background check and waive any claim against the church for performing said background checks.
EVALUATION AND COMPENSATIONS:
The Director of Music and the Arts reports to the Senior Pastor and will receive an annual performance review by the Senior Pastor as head of staff. The Senior Pastor and the Executive Committee review compensation annually.
Reports to: Senior Pastor
FLSA Status: Exempt