POSITION OVERVIEW : The Young Adult Ministry Leader works with Director of Family Life – Student Ministries and is responsible for planning and implementing a ministry focused on 18-25 year olds with the goal of encouraging their faith development
and nurturing relationships with other members of the community.
CHURCH OVERVIEW : Good Shepherd is a 4,000+ member Christian church with the primary mission to "Reach and Transform spiritually distracted people so we all come to love and serve God." Every member of staff, including this position, is
challenged to help fulfill that mission. www.goodshepherd-naperville.org.
HOURS: 15 hours per week, may include some evening and weekend hours.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The position’s duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Implement and lead a regularly scheduled small group for local college students and young adults; work with the Director of Family Life – Student Ministries to plan curriculum/discussion topics
- Develop a strategy to nurture distant relationships with college students who have left local community
- Recruit and mentor a strategic team of volunteer leaders with defined roles related to young adult/college-age ministry
- Integrate this population into the life of Good Shepherd congregation by collaborating with other GSC ministries
- Collaborate with Adult Ministry staff members to encourage participation in activities that would support faith development such as worship, bible studies, small groups, support groups, and service opportunities.
- Implement and evaluate events and serving projects throughout the year, including retreats and mission trips
- Carry out relational contact work with this population and create community at Good Shepherd
- Facilitate mentoring relationships between young adults and other church members including opportunities for young adults to mentor others and serve in various ministries
- Effectively connect and communicate with this population using a variety of mediums that are age appropriate
- Work with the Director of Family Life – Student Ministries to provide a GSC presence on local college campuses
- Establish clear communication with students, volunteers, staff, and church leadership
- Support students to connect in ministry near and on College Campuses (church home, college ministries, local ministries, etc.)
- Make pre-approved purchases within allotted budget
- Track measurements such as attendance, background checks, budget.
- Attend Good Shepherd Church on a regular basis; church membership encouraged
- Meet regularly with Director of Family Life--Student Ministry and attend weekly Student Ministries staff meetings
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Personal relationship with Jesus Christ and passion to share God’s love
- Driven leadership skills; able to start new projects and continually evaluate program effectiveness
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to attract, develop, and lead people and/or ministry teams
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with strong relationship building mindset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Publisher, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of effective marketing and social networking opportunities
- Have experience with database including data input and creating reports
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field preferred; 2-3 years’ of experience working in Young Adult Ministry; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. It requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise
WORK ENVIRONMENT This position is typically office or administrative, but may include travel to interact with others and exposure to outdoor environments for retreats and other activities.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS INCLUDING CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Ability to pass pre-employment background screening and drug testing.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should provide cover letter, and resume describing your interest as early as possible.
GOOD SHEPHERD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER