The purpose of the Evangelical Free Church of Bemidji, MN is to:
- Promote the Supremacy of Christ
- By Celebrating His Love
- Obeying His Truth
- And Enlarging His Kingdom
The purpose of the EFC-Bemidji’s associate pastor is to lead the adult ministries through:
- Congregational Assimilation and Discipleship (50%)
- Community Outreach and Evangelism (30%)
- Pastoral Care (10%)
- Worship (10%)
Requirements: The associate pastor will be
a man who-
- Consistently demonstrates Godly character and doctrine as found in 1 Timothy 3: 1-7 and Titus 1: 5-9
- Agrees with the purpose and doctrinal statements of the church, and abides by its constitution and bylaws
- Holds either an undergraduate or graduate degree in Biblical studies or ministry
- Has the equivalence of 5-years of full-time Christian ministry experience with demonstrated:
- Relational, teamwork, and organizational skills
- MS Word, email, social media and other basic computer skills
- Is mature and well-seasoned in interacting with adults and their faith challenges
- By the time of hire, is able to perform weddings and funerals
Preferences: The associate pastor may be someone who-
- Has 10+ years of full-time Christian ministry experience
- Holds a Master of Divinity degree or equivalent
- Is an ordained pastor
- Is credentialed by the Evangelical Free Church of America
- Has experience in counseling adults
Ministry responsibilities listed in order of priority:
- While some work may be delegated to others, the ultimate accountability for assuring that the following responsibilities are implemented rests with the Associate Pastor
- a. Congregational Assimilation and Discipleship (50% ~25 hours)
- i. Network and collaborate with all efforts of the church to ensure that adults are encouraged in personal spiritual growth and service.
- ii. Promote discovery, development, and usage of spiritual gifts and abilities.
- iii. Develop and oversee a small group ministry that connects the adults in the church.
- iv. Direct and train Welcome Ministry Teams (ushers, greeters, welcome table, prayer corner, etc.) and follow-up with newcomers and infrequent attenders.
- v. Promote church membership and baptism classes.
- vi. Coordinate church fellowship events (game nights, picnics, potlucks, etc.).
- vii. Encourage and promote Men’s and Women’s ministries.
- viii. Promote marriage and family enrichment retreats and seminars.
- ix. Chair Christian Ed. Committee and meet with other boards and committees as needed.
- x. Organize the intergenerational Summer Sunday School ministry.
- b. Community Outreach and Evangelism (30% ~15 hours)
- i. Organize and train for outreach to the unsaved (evangelistic events, etc.).
- ii. Develop a follow-up plan to disciple new Christians.
- iii. Promote congregational involvement with Native American ministries.
- iv. Collaborate with the Global Connections Team (i.e. missions).
- v. Promote involvement with community services (food shelf, homelessness, etc.).
- vi. Oversee the church website and social media accounts.
- c. Pastoral Care (10% ~5 hours)
- i. Supervise the Visitation Caregiver and provide an annual job review.
- ii. Assist with ministry to shut-ins, the hospitalized, and the elderly.
- iii. Officiate funerals, church weddings, and provide pre-marital counseling.
- iv. Provide other counseling and refer long-term needs to outside counselors.
- v. Coordinate use of the Benevolence Fund.
- d. Worship (10% ~5 hours)
- i. Participate in the worship services including planning and evaluation.
- ii. Preach occasionally.
- iii. Assume the Lead Pastor’s responsibilities during vacation, illness, training, etc.
- iv. Other duties as requested by the Lead Pastor.
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with experience and education
Anticipated Tentative Timeline:
- February 12, 2018: All announcements are released (electronically & US mail)
- March 5, 2018: Accepting Applications and Initial Review, open until filled
- April 5, 2018: Anticipated Closing Date and Final Review, open until filled
- July 1, 2018: Successful candidate officially begins employment on site
Application Protocols: Send to: Dr. Karl Salscheider, Search Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1-page cover letter including brief paragraph of your initial interest in our position
- 3 general letters of recommendation
- List of references
Further on in this process, you may be asked to complete a compatibility survey along with documents related to background checks and Minnesota law. For an information packet on our church, or if you have a brief question, contact Karl at the email address
above. Immediate information on our church and community can be found at: http://www.efcbemidji.org/ and https://www.visitbemidji.com/