The role of the Children’s Pastor (CP) is to oversee the children’s ministry strategy of Freedom Church (FC) under the direction and leadership of Terrell Somerville. This will require a firm grasp of the beliefs, values and strategy of FC and the ability
to align staff and key leadership teams with its mission, vision and values. The CP will partner with parents to lead kids to a genuine sense of belonging, involvement and spiritual growth at FC by meeting kids where they are and leading them to next steps.
The CP will facilitate relational connection and spiritual growth of kids through weekend environments, small groups, and volunteer teams.
The Children’s Pastor will be responsible for the following:
1. Modeling Biblical Priorities
Responsible for upholding Biblical priorities and core values of FC. The CP should
represent a growing personal relationship with Christ. The CP models a strong relationship with his or her spouse (if married) and children (if applicable). The CP strives to fulfill his or her purpose in life and ministry while demonstrating integrity in
words, relationships and actions. These objectives are accomplished by:
• Committing to a regular quiet-time with God.
• Attending a FC weekend service on a regular basis.
• Setting appropriate boundaries with time and relationships to protect character and
• Developing personal evangelism opportunities within and outside the church.
• Supporting the ministries of FC by faithfully giving at least 10% of gross
2. Leadership of Staff and Volunteer Teams
Success in this role will be best accomplished by prioritizing an investment in ministry leaders who, in turn, influence the children. Responsible for creating an environment that recruits, develops and empowers children’s ministry leaders:
• Communicating clear vision and wins for staff and volunteer teams on a regular basis.
• Building systems and structures that lead people from being spectators to volunteers.
• Overseeing systems for background checks, safety and security procedures, scheduling, training, and care of volunteers.
• Leading staff and volunteer meetings.
• Championing the children’s ministry leadership development strategy.
• Providing centralized efforts for training leaders (retreats, tools, etc.)
• Providing staff and volunteer teams with current children’s ministry best practices.
• Ensuring that the children’s ministry team answers questions and provides remarkable
customer service to parents and kids on a consistent basis.
• Providing regular evaluations and feedback to team members.
• Creating and continuously improving follow-up methods to ensure that new kids and families are plugged in to FC.
• Managing budget forecasts and expenses.
3. Oversight and Execution of Weekend Environments and Special Events
Responsible for creating programs that provide engaging experiences and life-changing
environments for children:
• Providing insight and direction for big picture programming and creative planning
• Selecting relevant curriculum, props, and games for weekend experiences.
• Ensuring that check-in areas, ministry spaces and signage are clear, current and focused on new kids and their families.
• Producing videos, weekly scripts and lessons, printed promotions, verbal announcements, web page information, marketing, etc. about the kid’s ministry at FC.
• Creating and maintaining a safe environment for kids, including special needs at FC.
• Develop, plan, and execute summer kids’ week (VBS).
• Ensure classrooms are 100% for each Sunday.
• Assist in the leadership of our current Parent’s Day Out ministry (PDO).ES
• Other duties as requested.
4. Oversight and Execution of Small Groups
Constructs practical onramps and systems to help kids move from visiting to belonging and growing:
• Developing a systematic and effective effort to integrate kid’s small groups into weekend environments.
• Overseeing information and tracking of small group participants and leaders.
• Actively encouraging small group leaders to connect with families and kids during the
• Providing opportunities for kids to discover their unique purpose and begin developing
their talents and abilities.
• Offering small group leaders curriculum, coaching materials, and creative approaches to small group ministry.
• Implementing a strategy to equip parents to help their kids take their next steps toward
• Execute kid’s outreach efforts at FC.
-Has a love for Christ, His Word and the Church and is a mature Christ follower growing in grace.
-Have a conscientious work ethic, able to work at a fast pace, within a variety of settings, maintaining a flexible attitude in changing environments.
-Be a self starter, good at multi-tasking and prioritizing projects.
-Able to work well with all types of personalities in a team setting, striving for unity in vision.
-Creative, detail oriented and decisive with the ability to organize, coordinate work, set priorities & maintain systems.
-Experience as a high capacity Children’s ministry leader, pastor or director in a large church setting.
-Degree from a four-year college or university is preferred, however 5-7 years’ experience and/or training in a large church setting is accepted.
-Demonstrates leadership skills and has the ability to motivate others.
Check out our website www.freedomfamily.us.