ADVANCE MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
POSITION TITLE: Youth Minister
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
QUALIFICATIONS: This person must:
(1) be committed to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord of his/her
life without reservation;
(2) express this commitment in daily life through the discipline of
mind, body, and spirit and through relationships with other persons;
(3) be convinced that God is calling him/her to minister through the
Advance Memorial United Methodist Church;
(4) have adequate Biblical background to lead Bible studies and discussion
(5) be able to work with other persons and the Senior Pastor;
(6) be visionary in programming for both the Youth Ministry be able to plan
activities, recruit volunteers, resource volunteers, and publicize events at the church;
(7) be committed to follow up and evaluate plans, and be flexible to change
(8) be creative;
(9) have the patience, perseverance and sense of humor to work with teenagers;
(10) have good listening skills;
(11) be able to maintain confidences and use great discretion in passing on
information shared by a youth;
(12) have knowledge of and be willing to use effective disciplinary methods for
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Provide Leadership and supervision of youth as they create and implement a balanced youth program including fellowship, service, study and outreach worship.
2) Recruit and train adults to assist in the implementation of an effective youth ministry;
3) Coordinate all programs and activities for youth in Middle School through High School (except Sunday School) and provide scheduling and notification.
4) Be in attendance at all youth activities and programs or insure that qualified adult supervision is provided;
5) Promote and attend District and Conference youth events;
6) Actively seek new members and work toward involving all the youth who are
in the church;
7) Take advantage of District and Conference training opportunities.
8) Develop a relational ministry with youth by visiting in homes, attending school events, and providing pastoral care as needed, with appropriate boundaries and a good grasp of when you need to refer
9) Form and lead a Youth Ministry Team of Youth and Adult Volunteers to regularly discuss guide, and receive feedback about the youth program.
10) Attend meetings of the Administrative Board, and Council On Ministries, and give an oral and written report at each meeting.
11) Maintain accurate records of receipts and expenses incurred in the performance of the duties and be responsible for spending within the budgetary limits.
12) Communicate all programs and activities throughout the church family.
13) Attend worship services at Advance Memorial United Methodist Church.
14) Teach no doctrine that is in conflict with United Methodist theology.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: The compensation (based on approximately 20 hours per week) will be between $12,500-$14,500 depending upon the experience
and abilities of the applicant. This also includes an understanding that special events like a mission trip or Winter Jam will require more than 20 hours per week so some regular weeks will be less than 20 hours. The church staff has a regular calendar of
vacation days for national holidays. In addition, the youth minister will get 1 week of paid vacation.
VACATION: 1 week
See attached schedule
ABSENCES: Absences, other than vacation time or routine illness, must be coordinated with Senior Pastor a minimum of two weeks prior to absence.
SUPPLIES: Purchase of necessary supplies shall not exceed the amount specified in the budget.
1) The Youth Minister/Program Director is under the direct supervision of the Senior Pastor, 2) The Pastor-Parish Relations Committee interviews and makes recommendations to the Administrative Council concerning the hiring of staff and evaluates the work
of all staff. Upon entry into the position there will be a 90-day probation period after which there will be an evaluation by the PPR Committee and the Senior Pastor of the person's performance. Each year thereafter there will be a re-evaluation.
3) Appropriate dress is expected for all occasion.
PERSONAL CONDUCT: No staff member may come to the church in any capacity with any semblance of having used alcohol or illegal drugs. Any evidence to the contrary will be justification for dismissal.
All staff are expected to abide by the Advance UMC Sexual Harassment policy.