PALMA SOLA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
6510 3rd Avenue West Bradenton FL. 34209
Church Office: 941-792-3141 Website: pspchurch.org/resources/employment
Fax: 941-794-6545 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
MUSIC WORSHIP POSITION OPENING
Choir Director/Congregational Song Leader
PSPC is seeking to hire a part-time Choir Director/Congregational Song Leader. The time commitment for the Choir Director would be approximately 10-12 hours per week and the salary is negotiable (based on experience and skills). The choir takes time off
during the months of July and August each year. There are no benefits provided for the position. Our music worship team currently consists of a Praise Band leader, one accompanist, and a small choir. Our congregation desires a quality worship service that
is vibrant, joyful, reverent and fresh. We would like our music team to be creative in its efforts to combine both contemporary and traditional approaches so as to enhance our overall worship experience.
Number of Members: 182
Average Worship Attendance: 115
Organ: Rodgers 940 (1992)
Instruments: Organ, Piano, Handbells, Harpsichord
Contact Person: Pastor, India Dennis
Send resume to church e-mail or street address
PURPOSE: To provide vocal music direction to the choir, to coordinate worship music with Praise Band Director and to lead congregational hymn singing.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in music, or comparable experience.
- Training in the human voice and the ability to teach singing.
- Training in good choral tone and how to achieve it.
- Knowledge of hymnody and church music.
- Knowledge of, or a willingness to learn about, worship in the Presbyterian tradition and about blending traditional and contemporary worship.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading music in worship.
- Appreciation for and ability to lead traditional worship music.
- Ability to work well with church staff, choir and congregation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Pastor in selection of hymns based on sermon text and worship theme; select special choral pieces based on that theme.
- Select choir anthems based on liturgical seasons/scripture texts and study and prepare choral scores for choir and accompanist prior to choir rehearsals.
- Lead congregation in singing of traditional hymns.
- Identify opportunities/plan music for guest musicians (soloists/ensembles) to play during services within limits of available budget. Distribute/deliver selected music and arrange rehearsal times.
- Plan/prepare for special worship services (music selection; providing printed materials; contacting participants; arranging guest musicians, special rehearsals, props/costumes/AV enhancements).
- Direct the choir in one and a half hour weekly rehearsals with half-hour/three-quarter hour warm-ups prior to Sunday morning “blended” service.
- Actively solicit new choir members, possibly finding ways choir may serve in the community.
- Supervise maintenance/tuning of musical instruments at the church (organ,
- Exhibit behaviors that model proper Christian conduct in church and the community
- Write articles for church bulletin, newsletter, website re: choir activities.
- Meet with Worship and Fellowship Team once a month or as scheduled. Be prepared to present current or upcoming activities to incorporate into meeting minutes.
- Provide an acceptable substitute when absent and notify the pastor at least one week in advance.