Reports to: Managing Executive Director
Directly Supervises: Children’s Ministries Administrative Assistant, Nursery & Childcare Staff
Status: Full Time
The Director of Children’s Ministries will provide dynamic growth, leadership, create, manage, and direct all aspects of Children’s Ministry (6 weeks through Fifth Grade) which includes Sunday school, Mid-Week Activities, Small Groups, HeartFELT Special
Events, VBS, and Childcare for St. James UMC and its community. The Director will effectively interact with students, influential leaders in our communities that affect our children, staff members of St. James UMC, and the parents of the Children’s Ministry
to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the World.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION:
- High energy, entrepreneurial, and charismatic with effective organizational skills
- Foster Children’s growth in five key areas: Radical Hospitality, Passionate Worship, Intentional Discipleship, Salty Service, and Extravagant Generosity
- Desire to work in children’s ministry as a way to serve God and advance His kingdom
- Knowledge and skills to serve in children’s ministry
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to work with children, volunteers, staff, and parents to coordinate children’s ministry
- Ability to make changes, corrections and solve problems quickly under pressure
- Clearance of criminal background check
- Abide by all personnel policies of St. James UMC
- Self-starter and high degree of discipline and strategic focus
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND JOB DUTIES:
- Provide vision, leadership, resources, and support for direct reports and volunteers.
- Develop creative vision and annual ministry plans with measurable goals for growth.
- Be active in creating and implementing meaningful outreach events.
- Show support of the community’s children in activities away from St. James (sports, dance, etc.).
- Recruit, train, and connect Sunday school, Mid-Week, and Special Event Leaders and Volunteers.
- Provide regularly scheduled meetings for training, encouragement of volunteers.
- Schedule and coordinate volunteers and communicate with leaders as needed.
- Coordinate and provide childcare to support adult ministry opportunities at St. James UMC.
- Oversee management and scheduling of Paid childcare staffing needs.
- Prepare and manage budget for children’s ministry.
- Manage the distribution and allocation of curriculum and supplies.
- Obtain, edit, and distribute curriculum/crafts/supplies for workers.
- Plan and support Children’s special events including marketing efforts—website, social media, print materials, etc.
- Curriculum research and selection for Sunday school program, Kid’s Church, and support for additional Children’s program.
- Advise in the use of program materials, room scheduling, equipment, and supplies by children’s groups in church events.
- Responsible for setup of all Children’s Ministries activities.
- Responsible for organization and supplies used in Children’s Ministry.
- Plan and coordinate all Children’s Ministry special events.
- Coordinate, supervise, recruit, direct and choose curriculum for special children projects, activities and programs (e.g. VBS, Trunk or Treat, Easter Egg Hunt).
- Serve as a permanent member of the Discipleship Team, representing the children, bringing their needs and concerns to the team. Working alongside the Discipleship Team and the Managing Executive Director, determine short-term and long-term goals for the
church’s Children’s Ministry.
- Mentor and develop other potential leaders to serve as ministry heads for various aspects of children’s ministry.
- Participation in weekly staff meetings.
- Coordinate and maintain the Volunteer Application Process.
- Create, oversee, plan and execute our New Volunteer Orientation and Annual Child Protection Policy Training.
- Manage the volunteer database in Churchteams.
- Process background checks and references for volunteers.
- Partner with other ministries within St. James UMC to form a cohesive ministry team.
- Continually explore opportunities on how to grow the children’s ministry and capture hearts to pursue a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Participate in and complete continued educational courses/studies; stay fresh and relevant in ministry.
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited four year college or university, or equivalent education experience.
- Strong commitment to the Christian faith and to the theology of the United Methodist Church.
- Willingness to adhere to the St. James UMC Staff Policies and Statement of Ethics, to be loyal to the Senior Pastor and church leadership, and be faithful to the St. James UMC mission, vision, and values.
- Ability to pray, teach, and interact well with others.
- Ability to comfortably speak in front of large groups and deliver messages.
- Ability to participate in children’s activities as required for relationship building.
- Able to lift small children, (40 lbs. or less).
- Ability to communicate well with both children and parents.
- Vision casting and leadership ability.
- Team and ministry management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Self-Starter and dependable.
- Integrity and trustworthiness.
- Relationship building.