In 1957, two gentlemen felt a burden to start a church in Naperville. Mel Larson and Bill Frickman felt called to reach this community for Jesus - to see Christ's transforming power. So, on August 11, 1957, with just seventeen people (who were from Wheaton
Evangelical Free Church) present, the Evangelical Free Church of Naperville in the auditorium of the Bank of Naperville, gathered to discuss the possibilities. That small group held frequent prayer meetings in the weeks to come and a church family started
to take shape. This was the beginning of what would later be known as The Compass Church.
In the years since, The Compass has grown to 3600 adults and children attending ten weekend worship services across four locations. In 2014, The Compass Church sought a reunification with Wheaton Evangelical Free Church – the place where it all began. The
two congregations became one church again and the people of the church – believing deeply in the work God is doing – saw His work come full circle. In 2016, Compass also reunited with one of its daughter churches, NewSong Church in Bolingbrook, IL. The Compass
Church is one church meeting in four locations throughout the area.
In their words:
“Our church isn't a building. It's not a place. It's a body of believers. Our mission that drives us is 'To Love Him More, So More Love Him' - a beautiful combination of the Great Commandment and the Great Commission.
"Our vision that directs us is 'To become a community of life transformation taking the hope of the gospel here, near and far.'
"Over the history of our church, we have moved, expanded and changed our ways often. We have sought to remain flexible so we may be responsive to God's calling on this church. God has been at work in the lives of ordinary men and women to do some extraordinary
things in Jesus' name.
"Our prayer is simply, no matter what comes next, we will be found ready.”
Getting to know The Compass Church
Here are some videos recently used at The Compass Church that may help you, as a potential candidate, understand the DNA of the church and the culture of the staff. Watch the video below and click on the links to take a look and learn more about The Compass Church!
- 2018 Vision - The Compass Church
- Campus Pastors - Series Intro
- "We Are Compass Church"
- Darrell (XP) - Intro
- Jeff (Sr. Pastor) - Intro
About the Position:
This Campus Pastor position will serve as the primary pastor for the Hobson Campus: overseeing staff, direction and budget to achieve the discipleship and outreach objectives of The Compass Church. The Campus Pastor will also serve on the Senior Staff of
It is essential for the Campus Pastor to emphasize pastoral and ministry leadership in his interactions with the staff and their teams to achieve the mission of the church, “to love Him more so more love Him.”
A Campus Pastor at The Compass Church is one whom is a dynamic leader, a team player, strong shepherd, mobilizer, community builder and a raving fan of The Compass Church.
What We Are Searching For / Qualifications:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Campus Pastor:
A bachelor’s degree is required. Further theological training or a seminary degree is a plus.
10+ years ministry experience is strongly preferred.
Experience in leadership in large church settings (1000+) is expected.
- A deeply committed follower of Jesus with a vibrant, healthy personal relationship with God.
- A strong passion for the mission, vision and values of The Compass.
- A chemistry that fits with the culture and theology of The Compass and a commitment to the EFCA Statement of Faith.
- Demonstrates the qualities of integrity, humility, responsibility, teachability and servanthood as a gracious and loving pastor.
- A demonstrated high level of integrity, guided by a sound set of ethical principles.
- A disciple-maker, who creates and grows discipleship through leadership and communication.
- A leader that can create an environment of unity and a ‘can-do’ spirit among a team.
- A demonstrated commitment to lifelong learning and personal development.
- High relational skills and a love for people inside and outside the church.
- An unrelenting passion for leading people to faith and equipping them with spiritual practices for a life of discipline.
- A heart for Christ, the local church, the community, and the needs of the world.
- A strong leadership without ego
- Champion of the other campuses at The Compass.
- The ability to engage the 2500 attendance of the Hobson campus from the platform as well as one-on-one.
- The ability to lead the present high-performing staff, as well as the ability to create recruit and retain excellent staff members at his campus.
About the Location:
Located 28 miles west of Chicago, Naperville, IL, consistently ranks as a top community in the nation in which to live, raise children and retire. This vibrant, thriving city is home to acclaimed public and parochial schools, the best public library system
in the country, world-class parks, diverse worship options, an array of healthcare options, and an exceptionally low crime rate. Naperville has ready access to a variety of public transportation, housing and employment options. The city’s diversified employer
base features high technology firms, retailers and factories, as well as small and home-based businesses.
In just half a century, the City of Naperville has grown from a prairie town of fewer than 10,000 people to a bustling city of 145,000 residents, and home to everything from family businesses and a scenic Riverwalk to international corporations and regional
transportation networks. Naperville has been named one of the Top 100 Best Places to Live in 2017 by Livability.com, outpacing more than 2,100 cities with populations between 20,000 and 350,000 in a data-driven ranking system. Money Magazine also named the
city in its 2016 Best Places to Live list, ranking it #10 on the list of 50 small cities.
From its 1831 incorporation to today’s standing as Illinois’ fifth largest city, Naperville’s story is one of progress and innovation through the power of teamwork. With an appreciation for the founding families of Naperville and their generations that continue
to influence the city, the shared sense of community that bring intergovernmental partners and organizations together for the common good, and the continued drive for innovation and efficiency in the future, Naperville is one of a kind.
With all the amenities of a modern city and all the charm of a small town, Naperville truly is the premiere community in which to live, work and play.
PLEASE APPLY HERE --> vsearch.ws/2EB4LtY