Lakewood Evangelical Free Church has a history of extensive and generous involvement in overseas missions. The Missions Director is responsible for overseeing and coordinating this involvement, while mobilizing us for increased community impact. He/she works
with the elders and Missions Deacons to develop, implement, and oversee the strategies and programs necessary for Lakewood to live out her core value of intentional outreach.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
I. LOCAL MISSIONS BY LAKEWOOD PARTICIPANTS
- Personal Evangelism: The Missions Director should maintain a personal habit of sharing Christ with non-Christians, driven by a passion to see lost people come to know Christ. He/she will also work to train and equip others to do the same.
- Leadership: Design and implement strategies and opportunities for the people of Lakewood to extend the gospel to our community, utilizing both Lakewood initiated activities, as well as coordinating with local churches and like-minded organizations.
II. GLOBAL OUTREACH THROUGH MISSIONARIES AND ORGANIZATIONS SUPORTED BY LAKEWOOD
- Missions Education & Mobilization: Strives to increase Lakewood’s awareness of the responsibility we have to proclaim the gospel to every person and make disciples of every nation. This includes overseeing opportunities for individuals from Lakewood
to be directly involved in international missions, as well as opportunities for us to support vocational missionaries.
- Missions Administration: The Missions Director is responsible for managing the day-to-day and long-range financial, administrative, and human resource aspects of Lakewood’s mission’s ministries.
- Missionary care and support: Develops and oversees a ministry of care and support to present and future missionaries supported by Lakewood. Coordinates programs for returning missionaries and missionary care team efforts.
- Pursues a vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ through the regular practice of spiritual disciplines including prayer, Bible reading, Bible study, worship and Sabbath rest.
- Willingly pursues membership at Lakewood.
- Meets regularly with the Executive Pastor for accountability and to foster the connection between Lakewood’s outreach ministries and the rest of the staff.
- Attends staff meetings and retreats, as directed by the Executive Pastor.
- Willingness and ability to travel for missionary connection and support. International travel expectations are
up to twice a year, 20 days total. Domestic travel up to 15 days a year, generally daytime only, but may require some overnights.
- Demonstrates a personal saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and a growing commitment to knowing and following Christ.
- Agrees with the Lakewood Evangelical Free Church Statement of Faith and agrees to minister in accordance with Lakewood’s Constitution, Bylaws, church policies, and core values, being careful to understand and respect the distinctive and history of our congregation
- If married, the Missions Director must have a strong relationship with his spouse. His/her spouse must wholeheartedly support His/her ministry and should willingly pursue membership at Lakewood.
- Exhibits a teachable attitude and is willing to work under the direction of the Executive Pastor, Missions Board and Board of Elders.
- Demonstrates a team attitude, both with staff and lay leadership.
If you are interested in this position please send your responses to the following questions (in a paragraph or less) and your resume to Brent at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. How do you define missions?
2. What is your most recent evangelistic experience?
3. What is one step a church can take to effectively engage their community with the gospel?