Valley Community Baptist Church, located in Avon, Connecticut is looking for qualified candidates for the of
Pastor of Congregational Care.
Valley Community Baptist Church, (“VCBC”), a member of Converge Worldwide (Baptist General Conference), is a vibrant, evangelical congregation, averaging around 1,600 in worship attendance per week and drawing from multiple communities in central Connecticut.
VCBC is known for its: 1) biblical, relevant, multi-style worship services and strong preaching ministry, 2) strong ministry to Children, Students and Adults, and 3) constant pursuit of new and innovative ways to do ministry. VCBC relies heavily upon an integrated
approach to ministry. Its key ministry staff make up a closely-knit, high functioning team whose members are both highly skilled and well-compensated, with salary and benefit packages comparable to those found in larger churches across the country.
Reporting directly to the Executive Pastor, the Pastor of Congregational Care will oversee all aspects of care ministry for the church and will have the following major responsibilities:
- Clarifies, affirms, and articulates the vision for Congregational Care.
- Responsible for the development, design, implementation, and integration of the Congregational Care ministries across the Church.
- Implements strategies and approaches to connect people and ministries of the church to the vision for Congregational Care.
- Supports the ongoing vision of small group life at Valley through the training and support of discipleship group leaders, and partnering with the group leadership team in developing a system of care.
- Oversees the ministry of visitation which includes recruiting, training, and coordinating visits with Valley attenders.
- Oversees the Prayer Ministry
- Has primary responsibility for pre-marriage counseling and weddings.
- Has primary responsibility for all funerals and follow-up including grief care.
- Recruits, develops, pastors, and leads healthy volunteer teams and members of the Congregational Care ministry.
- Establishes and maintains regional connectedness with care agencies, Christian counselors, and therapists.
- Provides organizational leadership and accountability for the Congregational Care ministry team including planning, staff, budgeting, etc.
Other duties and responsibilities as directed.
Salary is commensurate with background and experience. Position includes full benefit package.
Required skills / experience
In order to be effective in this role, a successful candidate will be a growing, committed disciple of Jesus Christ who possesses many of the following core gifts or passions:
- The candidate should have strong biblical theology of care compatible with the VCBC Affirmations of Faith.
- The candidate should be a leader and team-builder; able to recruit, train and mobilize leaders and teams to fulfill the vision of Congregational Care.
- The candidate should be strategic; understanding how to best utilize resources (time, people and budgets) in a large multi-campus environment.
- The candidate should be wise and discerning; able to address complex pastoral care situations with both spiritual and therapeutic insight.
- The candidate should have a pastoral interest in the well-being of people; demonstrating compassion, love, and respect to those he serves.
- The candidate should have healthy personal boundaries; knowing how to set appropriate limits with people to whom he ministers.
- The candidate will have five plus years of vocational ministry experience, preferably in a large-church setting.
Master of Divinity or equivalent degree from accredited theological institution as well as counseling and/or clinical training and experience. Is ordained or ordainable.
REQUIRED CULTURE / CHARACTERISTICS
The successful candidate will possess the following characteristics:
- Strong desire to honor God and inspire His people through excellence.
- Engaging personality, both publically, and personally
- Models spiritual transformation
- Healthy marriage and family life (if married)
- Personal and emotional maturity; is authentic and genuine as a person and pastor.
- Demonstrates personal growth, healthy relationships, and a desire for accountability.
- Empathetic, yet objective and discerning.
- Strong work ethic, a self-starter, demonstrates initiative and ownership of results.
- Flexible and nimble; capable, comfortable and energized by working in many ministry areas.
- Professional, forthright, courteous, cordial; positive outlook and “upbeat.”
- Neat, organized, structured work approach coupled with good time management skills.
Interested individuals should forward a cover letter, resume, written testimony, and call to ministry. Incomplete submissions will NOT be be considered.
Pastoral Care Search
Valley Community Baptist Church
590 West Avon Rd.
Avon, CT 06001
- or -
No Phone Calls Please and