PRINCIPLE FUNCTION(S): The Student Pastor will:
- Develop relationships with Buford Road Campus (BRC) students and their families for the purpose of nurturing their relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Form a base of volunteers to build a web of relationships for students with multiple Christian adults in the church.
- Promote a joyful and welcoming Christian atmosphere into all Buford Road Campus Student Ministry programs.
- Partner with parents and leaders to bring to life the mission of Bon Air Baptist Church’s Student Ministry, ensuring that the Student Ministry core values are lived out by students, parents, and ministry leaders.
- Serve as “champion” of Bon Air Baptist Student Ministry.
The first priority of the Student Pastor is to ensure that relationships are being built between the Student Ministry leaders and the students of the Buford Road Campus. One of the keys to an effective Student Ministry is the development of other adults
to be involved in the lives of students--establishing relationships with them, shepherding them and helping them develop their own relationships with Jesus Christ and with other students and adults.
RECRUITING AND SUPERVISION:
- Result #1: The Student Pastor knows every student in the ministry by name.
- Result #2: The Student Pastor knows every student parent by name.
- Result #3: The Student Pastor prays for students and the Student Ministry regularly.
- Result #4: The Student Pastor ensures that guests to Student Ministry activities receive a warm welcome and timely follow-up.
- Result #5: The Student Pastor serves as a mentor and counselor for students and parents, maintaining a referral list of professional counselors in the community.
- Result #6: The Student Pastor attends community/school events involving Buford Road Campus students as much as possible and builds a team of adults who will also attend these events. Result #7: The Student Pastor will network with other
area student ministry workers.
The Student Pastor reports directly to the Buford Road Campus Pastor. The Student Pastor supervises the Buford Road Campus Student Ministry Team, part-time Student Ministry staff, and interns. The Student Pastor works as a “champion” with multi-campus Student
Pastors. The Student Pastor works to ensure that the efforts of all student leaders and staff members are coordinated to maximize their effectiveness.
- Result #8: The Student Pastor recruits weekly and special event volunteers (Sunday School teachers, midweek programming, Bible Study leaders, etc.) at least one month before their terms of service are to begin, submits background checks,
and trains volunteers in all safety/security procedures.
- Result #9: The Student Pastor provides ongoing training for all volunteer Student Ministry leaders.
The Student Pastor works with the Student Ministry Team to oversee logistical concerns relative to the programs of the Student Ministry (planning, volunteer recruiting, transportation arrangements, required forms, etc.). He/She helps to create an atmosphere
where students experience belonging, are able to grow in faith, and can develop leadership skills.
- Result #10: The Student Pastor provides leadership and vision for the development of the Buford Road Campus Student Ministry.
- Result #11: The Student Pastor oversees and directs the implementation of the Buford Road Campus Student Ministry.
- Result #12: The Student Pastor takes initiative to provide creative programming (i.e., devotions, skits, etc.) for retreats and major events.
- Result #13: The Student Pastor works with adult volunteers, other members of the Student Ministry staff, and students to plan and coordinate retreats, fellowship programs, and fundraising activities.
- Result #14: The Student Pastor ensures that Student Ministry programs have a Christian atmosphere, and he/she sets a tone of joyful enthusiasm.
- Result #15: The Student Pastor provides spiritual support and encouragement to the volunteers working in Student Ministry.
- Result #16: The Student Pastor is available to teach Sunday School as needed and works to become increasingly effective in communicating the essentials of the Christian faith to students and their families.
VOCATIONAL AND PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Have a transparent, passionate, growing relationship with Christ
- Meet scriptural qualifications for a position in leadership (1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9)
- Be teachable and willing to be held accountable
- Possess the spiritual gifts of leadership, evangelism, and teaching
- An understanding and embracing of Emotional Healthy Spirituality as created by Peter Scazzero
ADDITIONAL CHURCH INFO:
- Discerning of God's direction to lead Student Ministry
- 3+ years experience ministering to students in a church or para-church organization, with preference given to candidates who have experience in leading a staff and multi-site churches
- Experience partnering with adults/parents who will help sustain the ministry
- Be a self-starter with drive, passion, initiative, and creativity
- Be a team player with a positive attitude
- Have enthusiasm for the mission of Bon Air Baptist Church
- Be supportive of the mission of Bon Air Baptist Student Ministry and its core values
- Willingness to grow personally, spiritually, and professionally
- Supervisory experience