Outreach Pastor Opportunity Profile
Cypress Bible Church
11711 Cypress N. Houston Rd.
Cypress, TX 77429
Cypress Bible Church (CBC) welcomes around 1000 worshippers to its 31 acre multi-building campus located twenty miles northwest of Houston, Texas. In 2001 CBC completed construction of its newest building which houses a 1200 seat auditorium, a “Commons”
foyer area, adult classrooms, and a 17 room early childhood wing.
The Cypress area is fast-growing, and multi-ethnic. It has much to offer with exemplary schools, the largest hospital system in the country, and a multitude of opportunities for children and teens to develop their interests.
Cypress Bible has had strength in Missions for many years, developing missionaries from within our church, currently supporting over 40 missionaries, with two couples in our development program. We send teams on short-term trips each year to places such
as India, Nepal, NY City, Cuba, and Mexico. Over our 43 year history, we have planted three local churches in the Houston area. Our local outreach efforts include adopting Lamkin Elementary school, neighborhood prayer walks, Vacation Bible School, Christmas
Breakaway, a Spanish language ministry, and other on campus outreach events.
We produce lives changed by Christ as we
Gather for life-changing worship,
Grow through life-changing truth, and
Go in life-changing mission.
We are looking for a pastor to join our team who will be instrumental in moving our church forward in the priority of
Going in Life-changing Mission. This will include leading our Local Outreach Team, organizing our church planting efforts, supporting our Global Missions Ministry, interfacing with our Hispanic Ministry Pastor, and connecting with other intentional
efforts to bless the Cypress Community.
We desire to be a church and individual believers who engage in our community by actively building relationships with unbelievers, cultivating a good reputation, and speaking the good news of Jesus.
Through our global workers and short term mission teams, we are committed to spread the gospel to the ends of the earth, and we actively support and send many individuals and organizations worldwide.
This is a full-time position with benefits.
GENERAL MINISTRY RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Outreach Pastor will lead the transition of CBC’s culture to one that is growing more outwardly focused by keeping community outreach communication, challenges and stories before the eyes and ears of the congregation.
- As a team builder and team player, they will lead the Outreach Team to encourage and equip the congregation to engage in reaching those in our sphere of influence with the gospel.
- The Outreach Pastor will supervise the Director of Global Missions, and work with the Core Team that oversees our Missions Ministry.
- The Outreach Pastor will supervise the Hispanic Ministry Pastor, ensuring that our outreach efforts include partnering with the Spanish-language congregation.
- The Outreach Pastor will oversee our church planting efforts and mentor a church plant intern, with the goal of planting a church every five years, with a focus on an ethnic minority in Greater Houston.
- The Outreach Pastor will work with the Short Term Missions Team to develop, monitor, and administrate short-term opportunities for all age appropriate groups. These trips will expand our evangelistic impact, and encourage participants to increased involvement
in the mission of God.
- The Outreach Pastor will serve as a member of the Strategy Team that coordinates the fulfillment of “producing lives changed by Christ as we Gather, Grow, and Go.”
- The Outreach Pastor will preach at our English-language worship services approximately 15% of the time or 8 Sundays annually. The foundation of the sermons will be an expository study/analysis of the biblical text. Sermons should teach and motivate believers
to be better disciples and also expose non-believers to the redemptive work of Jesus Christ and the love that God the Father has for them.
- Character that is “above reproach” in keeping with the Elder qualifications set forth in 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1 and 1 Peter 5.
- A communicable passion and energy for reaching lost and broken people both locally and globally.
- Leadership qualities that strike a healthy balance between being directive and being a team builder.
- Solid organizational skills with information and people.
- A self-starter with an ability to assess the past and present but also to step toward the future through innovation and implementation.
- Significant ministry experience in both community outreach and Missions work. Five or more years of pastoral staff experience is preferred.
- Education with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field. A graduate degree is preferred.
Please include the following:
1. A cover letter
2. Your résumé
3. Three references with contact info
4. A link or electronic file with a preaching sample
Send all of the above to:
Mail: Cypress Bible Church
Attn: Cathy Wactor
11711 Cypress N. Houston Rd.
Cypress, TX 77429
Outreach Pastor Job Description
Cypress Bible Church
Purpose: Oversee the staff and ministry areas related to “Go.”
Reports: To the Senior Pastor
I. Gathering for Life-Changing Worship
- Provide outreach elements that contribute to corporate worship.
- Encourage a philosophy of outreach that is connected to a life of worship.
II. Growing through Life-Changing Truth
- Provide opportunities for believers to be equipped for evangelism.
III. Going in Life-Changing Mission
- Lead the Local Outreach Team.
- Oversee staff Pastors and Directors for the following Teams: Global, Hispanic, Church Plant, Deaf Ministry, Houston Legal Aid.
- Coordinate the administration of short-term mission trips.
- Oversee CBC’s local church planting efforts.
- Represent CBC in the community through connection with local organizations and related ministries (e.g. Cypress Assistance Ministries, Houston Church Planting Network, Lamkin).
IV. Ministry Support
- Participate as a member of the Strategic Team, led by the Senior Pastor.
- Attend Church Plant and Global Missions meetings.
- Coordinate with other Staff Pastors to carry out Pastoral functions as needed, including weddings, funerals, counseling, Communion, corporate prayer, and teaching.
- Preach in corporate worship approximately 8 Sundays per year.
- Provide pastoral leadership in the absence of the Senior Pastor.
- Character traits as set forth in 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1, and 1 Peter 5.
- Seminary degree from a reputable institution.
- Pronounced communication skills and comprehensive knowledge of Scripture.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative capabilities.
- Five years of effective leadership experience in a local church.
- Self-starter with ability to assess the past and present, and to motivate others to step forward into the future.