Children’s Ministry Director
2017-18 Job Description
Salem’s vision is to help people live lives of love with God, in community and on mission. Our Children’s Ministry aims to accomplish this vision through intentional, fun, engaging and age-relevant ministry. We desire to help children know the heart of God,
so that they choose to live a life of love with their caring God, connected to Christian community and encouraged and equipped to serve.
Salem’s Children Ministry is made up of over 250 children and more than 80 incredible volunteers who are making an eternal impact on the lives of kids from birth through 6th grade. Salem has wonderful facilities located on two campuses located 6 miles from
one another in Fargo, ND and Moorhead, MN. Salem highly values and has a long history of commitment to ministering to children and their families.
Preferred Character Traits & Qualifications:
- A born-again Christian as evidenced through testimony and lifestyle.
- Spiritually healthy individual that is growing closer to God while resting in His guidance
- Passion for seeing children and teachers grow in their love and understanding of God.
- A strong communicator with mature and loving interpersonal skills.
- A humble leader who embraces training and equipping people for success.
- Gifted recruiter and encourager who brings in new volunteers and helps them feel valued.
- In agreement with the EFCA doctrinal statement as well as Salem’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Lives a Biblical lifestyle.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred.
- Experienced in leading a program for children in a secular or church environment.
- Theology and personal convictions compatible with the existing church leadership.
- Commitment to ongoing personal, professional and spiritual development.
- Commitment to regular worship attendance and participation in church-wide activities.
- Commitment to membership and participation in Salem Evangelical Free Church with time, talent and finances.
Time Commitment & Working Relationships:
- This is a full-time salaried position (minimum of 40 hours per week), with the salary and benefits set by the Board of Elders in conjunction with the Compensation Review Team.
- The Children’s Ministry Director is accountable to the Senior Pastor or his designee.
- The Children’s Ministry Director is to maintain a loving, collaborative and collegial working relationship with the Ministry Staff.
- The Children’s Ministry Director is responsible to supervise all Children’s Ministry programs and associated staff and volunteers.
1. Serve as the leader of Ministry to Children from birth through 6th grade for Salem
- Create bi-weekly, Christ-centered, biblically-driven environments and programs that are fun, engaging, and that leave children wanting to come to church every week.
- Oversee the equipping and teaching of the children & volunteers of Salem to passionately follow Jesus and live out the Gospel resulting in life-transformation in the lives of all involved and a joyful desire to reach the local area and
the world with the Gospel.
- Develop a comprehensive philosophy of ministry (evangelism and discipleship) and a strong vision for the ministry that is communicated to the church, especially the children and their parents.
- Develop and oversee weekend, mid-week and special event programming that accomplishes the vision and mission of Salem for children and their families.
- Build, deploy and oversee volunteer teams that help oversee key areas of Children’s Ministry.
- Ensure excellent and frequent communication about the ministry to children and their parents.
- Ensure that the administrative details of Children’s Ministry are handled with excellence.
- Exercise constant vigilance to ensure the protection and safety of all children (& adults) at all Children’s Ministry events, both on the church campus as well as on trips.
- Provide safe and loving Nursery care for all Sunday morning services, Wednesday children’s programing and other special events as needed.
- Work with the leadership of any teams under your oversight to develop budgets and then accountability to minister within that budget.
- Ensure compliance of overseen ministries and events to Salem relevant policies and procedures such as finance, travel, etc.
2. Collaborate with the Staff
- Participate in all relevant staff gatherings and supervisory meetings.
- Coordinate all Children’s Ministry activities with the Ministry Staff and Church Calendar.
- Develop ministry plans, determine initiatives, and set goals that are integrated with and advance the cause of the overall church.
- Monitor and give account for all Children’s Ministry budgets, attendance, initiatives, and goals.
3. Serve as a Children’s Ministry Director to the Church
- Demonstrate ownership for and effectiveness in communicating and fulfilling the church’s vision, mission, focus, culture, statement of faith and doctrinal distinctives.
- Lead the congregation through modeling by participation in Sunday worship, intentional efforts to Reach with the Gospel in our Metro, intentional efforts to grow in discipleship and to cultivate a lifestyle of service.
- Keep the congregation informed about Children’s Ministry ministries through the bulletin, the Salem Weekly, webpage updates and any other agreed upon means.
Please send interest letter, résumé and at least 3 references to email listed