Moundsville Baptist Church Senior Pastor/Preacher Position Description
The Senior Pastor first and foremost has the responsibility for preaching and teaching the Word of God. The Senior Pastor leads and works in unity with the various boards, lay leaders and the congregation to fill the mission of the church to exalt Christ, disciple
and equip the saints for ministry.
- A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a calling to God’s service
- Ordained Minister with preferably a minimum of 5 years of experience as a Preacher/Pastor.
- Consistent spiritual and moral character and lifestyle, consistent with the biblical leadership qualifications of an overseer described in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 Titus 1:5-9, and 1 Peter: 5:1-5.
- He is a person of routine prayer (Ephesians 6: 18) and is continually growing spiritually (2 Peter 1: 5-8).
- Competent in basic administrative tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to build caring relationships with the church body.
- Models servant leadership with the ability to work with others on a team.
- Strong in Biblical preaching
- Has a heart’s desire and demonstrated ability to shepherd God’s people.
- Preach the word of God
- Work with the worship team in planning and leading of corporate worship services on Sunday morning and evening.
- Lead Wednesday evening congregational Bible study
- Administer the Ordinances of the church
- Encourage a church culture that increasingly embodies Christ’s example of servant Leadership to all congregational leaders and the congregation as a whole.
- Work with the deacons in ensuring doctrinal integrity of the church.
- Work with Moundsville Baptist Church leadership to organize and develop ministry opportunities and possibilities for service in the church and community.
- Identify, disciple and deploy leaders who will fulfill ministry within the church and beyond.
- Provide oversight regarding leadership for volunteers in the execution of their responsibilities and in their development.
C. Pastoral Care:
- Be devoted to regular prayer for the congregation
- Shepherd the congregation in cooperation with the diaconate in visitation, counseling, and prayer for members and prospective members in their homes, nursing care facilities and hospitals.
- Compassionately minister to the needs of the congregation and to encourage them through sound biblical counsel, and pastoral care.
- Appropriately and expediently respond to crisis situations which arise in the congregation and make appropriate referrals when necessary.
- Give adequate priority to special ceremonies such as weddings and funerals and assist to make them especially memorable and Christ centered.
- Participate in the broader community life of Moundsville, celebrating community events and preserving a good reputation with those outside the church.
- Promote the purposes and ministries of the local church, training and encouraging spiritual maturity and church membership.
- Greet and follow up with visitors to the church and encourage them in regular attendance.
- Be an ex-officio member of the Diaconate and all other boards and committees
- Oversee the day to day activities of the church and church secretary.
- Work with board chairman’s and assist in setting the agenda for the boards of the church.
- The Senior Pastor is accountable first and foremost to God and His Word and secondly to the congregation.
- He will maintain and enhance knowledge, skills and abilities related to this position description through necessary means of continuing education.
- This position will be evaluated annually.
Moundsville Baptist Church celebrated 100 years in 2003 and is located in the heart of Moundsville, WV. Moundsville has a population of about 8,700 people and is in the northern panhandle of West Virginia, about 90 minutes from Pittsburgh, PA and 2 hours
from Columbus, OH.
We are a conservative, multi-generational, bible believing church and through the blessing of God we are debt-free. We have approximately 200 active members attending church each Sunday Morning. We offer a Wednesday night congregational bible study and
Sunday evening service as well as a Sunday school program for all ages conducted before the morning service. We have an active youth program that meets Wednesday evenings.
Moundsville Baptist Church has many active ministries with a participation rate of about 50% of our congregation.
Our facility has both a large and small chapel, two kitchens, a banquet hall, offices, and many meeting rooms, and a newly remodeled gymnasium.
- Send resume electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide two sermons electronically or provide website where they can be heard on line.
For more information on the church and community please visit http://moundsvillebaptist.org