Primary Purpose Statement:
The Executive Assistant is responsible for administrative support of the Lead Pastor and Executive Pastor and
assisting them in the performance of their responsibilities. He/she needs to maintain complete
confidentiality, assist as needed in crisis situations, and serve as a helpful and caring assistant to interface
with the congregation and community. Other general administrative duties are also involved. The ideal
candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks
and will be able to work independently with little or no supervision. The ability to interact with staff in a fast
paced environment, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with
a high level of professionalism and confidentiality is crucial. High level written and verbal communication
skills, strong decision making ability and attention to detail are equally important.
Essential Job Functions
• Support the Lead Pastor, Executive Pastor and Care Pastor by managing their schedules, screening and
prioritizing communications, and maintaining project files and office records.
• Initiate and prepare correspondence, agendas, meeting minutes and reports.
• Review documents and assist with preparation of presentations and supporting materials for meetings.
• Provide limited administrative support for the Parish Council:
- Prepare meeting agendas and policy documents
- Manage governance records
- Assure communications on governance matters are clear and consistent.
- Attend Parish Council meetings
• Prepare expense reports and reimbursement requests for the Lead and Executive Pastors
• Maintain up to date records containing care needs of members of the congregation.
• Work proactively with the pastors to initiate visits to hospitalized and homebound.
• Assist the Care Pastor by providing administrative support to the Care Ministries of Our Father as needed.
• Pray with phone callers or visitors as needed.
• Work with pastors in coordinating official acts such as baptisms, weddings, funerals, and confirmation
• Recruit and equip volunteers to assist with administrative responsibilities as needed.
• Participate in other ministry assignments as mutually agreed
• Represents the Lead and Executive Pastors in dealing with members of the congregation, other churches,
and the community at large, as required
• High School Diploma is the minimum required, with some college education preferred
• Must be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative, sometimes clerical, and executive support
related tasks and able to work independently with little supervision
• Must have strong writing and verbal communication skills, strong decision-making ability and attention to
detail are equally important, with the ability to review correspondence for procedural and grammatical
accuracy, conformance with policy/practices and factual correctness.
• Must have effective time-management skills
• Desirable to have 3-5 years experience as a senior level administrative assistant
• Must possess a working knowledge of standard office, equipment, including copiers, phone, calculators and fax
• Must demonstrate strong working knowledge of computers and proficiency in software programs, including
Microsoft Office applications, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, Excel, database systems and use of the Internet
• Must possess efficient, caring and discerning telephone skills
• Must have a heart for the ministry of Our Father and the people of this church family
• Must possess the desire to aid the Lead and Executive Pastors in fulfilling their responsibilities and lighten their
load whenever possible
Important Skills/Personal Traits Needed
• Maintains confidentiality and trust in all situations
• The gift of hospitality and tact
• Possesses a helpful, cheerful, diplomatic and caring servant attitude to all
• Punctual and dependable. Be well organized, flexible and adaptable, and enjoy the administrative challenges of
supporting the Senior Pastor and church in the daily performance of duties and functions
• Reviews correspondence for procedural and grammatical accuracy, conformance with policy and factual
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task projects and assignments, using good time management skills in a fast-paced
environment, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high
level of professionalism and confidentiality is crucial to this role.
• Committed Christian, actively involved in church and familiar with the Lutheran church
This position reports to: Lead Pastor