In response to God’s great love and for God’s glory,
our vision is to sow the gospel of Jesus Christ through word, prayer, deed, and community,
cultivating personal transformation, social healing,
and cultural renewal through a movement of churches and ministries
that reconciles us, Berkeley, the University, the Bay Area, and the world to God in Jesus Christ.
The Temporary Supply Pastor (TSP) for Missional Engagement will develop and steward service and witness with global and local communities, including surrounding universities. This position is full-time, exempt, with benefits. Priority deadline to apply:
December 15, 2017. Open until filled. Expected start date early to mid-2018.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree and Masters of Divinity, Ordained or Ordainable
Minimum Experience: Two to five years as a Pastor with Mission emphasis
We seek a person who possesses multiple strengths, first among these a deeply rooted identity in Christ. Experienced in effective mission strategies, this person is prepared for a demanding role that engages diverse constituencies in the Bay Area, nationally
and abroad. This TSP is a global citizen with extensive cross-cultural experience and sensitivity to a range of cultural and racial identities. This person’s character must be marked by humility and integrity as they navigate their work.
As a skilled communicator and educator who engages diverse ages and theological viewpoints, this TSP moves the congregation from early awareness to meaningful engagement in mission activities. Personable and enthusiastic, this person is gifted at discipling
and mobilizing the congregation. This TSP will be creative and adept at balancing First Pres’ mission traditions with innovative approaches to service and evangelism. This person is willing to take risks and also exhibits capacity for leading change. This
TSP has an entrepreneurial and counter-cultural spirit.
This TSP has a commitment to teamwork and enjoys collaboration. This individual demonstrates transparency and open dialogue. This person is a servant leader who is mindful of their role as both pastor for the congregation and manager of department staff.
Sensitive to the Holy Spirit, this individual possesses the moral courage, intellectual rigor, and people-oriented heart to implement and manage a dynamic mission ministry.
(1) Ministry Development: (45%)
- Cultivate missional living in congregants’ lives.
- Work to develop and maintain First Pres ministries using the full range of congregational gifts among all ages.
- Provide congregation and staff with tools for effectively sharing the Gospel.
- Mobilize and equip the congregation to engage in self-reflection and service-oriented action.
- Deepen connections between Mission partners, the Mission department, and congregants.
- Guide mission partnerships.
- Coordinate with University Ministries, Christian Development, and other ministries of First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley.
(2) Leadership: (30%)
- Oversee all aspects of the Mission Outreach Department.
- Articulate a vision and set clear priorities.
- Communicate effectively and transparently with the congregation, lay leaders, and staff.
- Encourage, develop, and support ownership by laity for all mission initiatives.
- Grow engagement in missional opportunities, programs, and relationships.
- Supervise mission events.
- Lead portions of Sunday services.
(3) Pastoral Care: (15%)
- Provide pastoral guidance in mission settings locally and abroad.
- Be supportive and attentive to mission partners, lay leaders, and staff.
- Provide general pastoral care to the congregation.
(4) General: (10%)
- Assist in worship; preach occasionally as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Supervise mission department staff.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Reports to: Interim Senior Pastor
Department Staff: Mission Department Staff
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, submit your Cover Letter and Resume: Visit www.fpcberkeley.org/employment.asp for our application form. Return the completed application along with your cover letter and resume to Bonnie Rauscher, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
by December 15, 2017. PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE CHURCH, RATHER THAN THROUGH THIS WEB SITE.
Note: Final job offer will be contingent on passing a criminal record background check.