The Director of Children's Ministry is a part time (20-25 hours weekly), lay staff member who reports directly to the Rector (senior pastor) and leads the Children's Ministries of the parish, for newborns through 5th graders. The mission
of the parish and of this ministry is growing disciples of Jesus Christ. The Director of Children's Ministry will collaborate with the Rector, staff and volunteer children's ministry leadership to pursue this mission.
St. Peter & St. Paul is an Episcopal parish in suburban Atlanta, with ~1000 active members, with average weekend attendance of 390 people (from three services). Our membership includes 105 kids from 0-11 years old. Average attendance for Sunday School through
grade 5 is roughly 40 kids and 10 in the nursery. Vacation Bible School in 2016 registered ~60 children, and a Sunday evening multigenerational program in Lent included 10 kids in that age range.
* Grow disciples of Jesus Christ according to the Vision for Children's Ministry.
* Oversee, organize and grow & sustain the Children's Ministry of the parish (for infants through 5th graders) through shared leadership, collaborating with the Rector, staff and volunteer leadership.
* Support the ministry of the whole parish, and the integration of kids into parish life as full members of the church, including Acolytes and Children's Choir.
* Develop effective Sunday School leaders and curricula for grades pre-K through 5 (with a preference for materials that connect to the readings in the Sunday Service.
* Develop effective Children's Chapel program and leaders.
* Coordinate the Nursery and supervise nursery staff (primarily for Sundays).
* Collaborate with a leadership team for Children's Ministry for a depth of effective leadership, discernment, accountability and connection to the parish.
* Form pastoral connections with children and their families, (and coordinate with Youth Ministry and Adult Education for family support).
* Organize and lead special activities, including Multigenerational programs (in 2016 we had a series of five Sunday evening programs) and seasonal special events.
* Organize and lead one week Vacation Bible School in the summer.
* Identify, recruit, train, support and motivate leaders and volunteers, including training in "Safeguarding God's Children" and "Safeguarding God's People" (for the prevention of abuse and sexual misconduct in the church).
* Prepare and manage the approved Children's ministry program budget.
* Attend worship on Sundays and Holy Days, attend Staff meetings, and maintain regular hours on site.
* A Christian committed to Jesus Christ, and to the church as the Body of Christ.
* Personal and professional character that demonstrates an authentic commitment to Christ and Christian standards, providing a good model for all ages.
* A passionate desire to help kids discover the love of God and grow as disciples of Jesus Christ.
* Demonstrated skills and attributes in:
Christian maturity, grounded in a life of daily prayer, regular worship and Bible study
Responsibility, organization and effective, healthy communications
Building fun, caring and trusting relationships with kids and adults
Flexibility and patience
Initiative, solution oriented problem solving reliability and accountability
Group/team leadership, training, mentoring, teaching, facilitation
* Demonstrated skills and experience as a creative and effective teacher of young children, including skills in using various modes of learning and classroom management
* Demonstrated experience with various Children's Ministry curricula.
* A demonstrated ability to recruit, train and support volunteer teachers.
* A demonstrated ability to work with, support and manage conflict with parents.
* A understanding of and respect for the Anglican / Episcopal tradition.
* A demonstrated ability to work graciously with people of various backgrounds and views.
* Demonstrated good judgment in boundaries (personal and professional) and in the wise and responsible use of technology and social media.
* Engage in indoor & outdoor activities and games with kids.
Education and experience:
* An Undergraduate Degree
* At least two years' experience, demonstrating an ability to grow and sustain a vibrant Children's ministry.
Employment is contingent on a successful completion of criminal background check.
Three references are required, including at least one personal and one professional reference.
Compensation and benefits:
The position is part time. 20-25 hours/weekly, with salary and partial benefits (which currently include a 403(b) retirement benefit and the ability to
purchase health insurance through the church plan. Four weeks of paid vacation including up to four Sundays. Annual salary range is $20,000 - $30,000, depending upon agreed hours, training, expereience and demonstrated abilities.
Submit a cover letter and resume to The Rev. Tom Pumphrey at
Visit us online at www.peterandpaul.org.