PBC sees children’s ministry as a partnership between the church and the home, utilizing the efforts of both parents and the church body to bring the love of Jesus Christ to the children of our community.
Through words and actions, the director would help create a welcoming, child-friendly, and safe environment; encourage and support parents; and train volunteers to build relationships with children and to communicate Biblical truth at a child’s level.
We are looking for one full-time director to coordinate special events and supervise the elementary (1st – 5th grade) ministry— including caregiving to children, parents, volunteers, and the facility.
- Oversee Caregiving Staff/Volunteers for Sunday:
- Hiring, training, and supervision of paid staff;
- Recruit, train, schedule, and encourage volunteers to teach; shepherd and support them; build relationships to encourage their spiritual walk;
Children and their Parents
- Build relationships with the children through visits in the classrooms;
- Work with volunteer staff to contact parents of absentee children;
- Handle occasional discipline problems that need input beyond the classroom volunteer staff.
- Contact and welcome new families to the church;
- Foster partnership between parents and volunteer staff;
- Enforce policies and procedures to establish a safe/secure environment;
- Work with ministry support staff to register new families and add to roster;
- Recruit and work with parents in the general maintenance of room décor and free from clutter.
Sunday School Curriculum
- Work with Children’s Pastor to select, edit, and finalize;
- Oversee weekly distribution to the staff ahead of time;
- Provide training on implementation;
- Organize and monitor support materials in the classrooms as needed.
- Ensure our program is fun, exciting and children look forward to attending church on Sundays;
Serve as part of the Children’s Ministry Leadership Team
- Attend weekly team meetings with other ministry directors;
- Regularly meet with Children’s pastor;
- Pray for the ministry.
Special Events Coordination:
Provide leadership to events such as Harvest Fest, Teacher trainings, Teacher Appreciation, Christmas and Easter celebrations, Family dedications, Summerville, church events that require childcare etc. Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Organize logistical details
- Estimate budget
- Recruit and lead event support team
- Publicity: work with PBC Office staff
- Event day supervision: set-up, monitor progress, troubleshoot, clean-up
- Coordinate with Children’s Pastor and Children’s Ministry Leadership Team
A director is a born-again believer, actively involved in PBC, with a calling from the Lord to serve in Children’s Ministry. A director must be committed to a growing relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord through the knowledge and study of His Word; to
fellowship with believers and to accountable discipleship with a pastor and other ministry leaders; to a lifestyle of biblical purity and integrity; and, to an ongoing ministry of prayer to root the people and the ministry in the plan and purposes of God.
Other requirements include:
- Must be available on Sunday mornings and special events.
- Education background: an AA or BA degree preferred
- 2-3 years of classroom experience in Church (Sunday School)
- Demonstrated knowledge of and responsibility for the creation of a safe and productive learning environment
- Good communication skills to interact with church leadership, parents, care giving staff, and children
- Able to use good judgment, flexibility, and faith to determine how to meet the needs of the various people he/she is responsible for shepherding
- Able to be a self-starter, comfortable with taking on a task or project with minimal handholding and knows when to ask for guidance if necessary
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Ability to be a team player
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Creativity and planning skills sufficient to plan and lead arts and crafts projects
- Proficient computer knowledge: Microsoft Office, Cloud apps (Google Office Suite, Dropbox, etc.), and Facebook.
- Must be able to relate to children on their physical level: this includes walking, standing, stooping, running, sitting (on the floor, desk or chair), climbing, crawling, kneeling, pulling, lifting, carrying, and crouching. Able to lift infants/toddlers
occasionally and up to 40 pounds during an emergency.
- First Aid and CPR certification required - training can be provided
- Ability to pass a background check
Send cover letter, resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with a statement addressing the following questions:
- Describe your faith journey and your relationship with God today.
- What excites you most about ministering to children?
- What are your spiritual gifts?