Congregational Care Pastor Opportunity Profile
Cypress Bible Church
11711 Cypress N. Houston Rd.
Cypress, TX 77429
Cypress Bible Church (CBC) welcomes around 1000 worshippers to its 31 acre multi-building campus located twenty miles northwest of Houston, Texas. In 2001 CBC completed construction of its newest building which houses a 1200 seat auditorium, a “Commons”
foyer area, adult classrooms, and a 17 room early childhood wing.
The Cypress area is fast-growing, and multi-ethnic. It has much to offer with exemplary schools, the largest hospital system in the country, and a multitude of opportunities for children and teens to develop their interests.
Cypress Bible has had strength in Global Missions for many years, developing workers from within our church, currently supporting over 40 missionaries, with two couples and one single adult in our development program. We send teams on short-term trips each
year to places such as India, Nepal, NY City, Cuba, and Mexico. Over our 44 year history, we have planted three local churches in the Houston area. Our local outreach efforts include adopting Lamkin Elementary school, neighborhood prayer walks, a Legal Aid
Clinic, Vacation Bible School, a Spanish language ministry, and other on campus outreach events.
We produce lives changed by Christ as we
Gather for life-changing worship,
Grow through life-changing truth, and
Go in life-changing mission.
We are looking for a pastor to join our team who will be instrumental in overseeing the care ministry of our congregation. This will include leading our Congregational Care Team, supervising three part-time staff members, serving as the “first-responder”
in death or crisis situations, organizing the visitation efforts for the hospitalized and homebound, and overseeing care ministries such as Grief Share.
As a participant on the Strategic Staff Team, the Congregational Care Pastor will work with the Senior Pastor, Equipping Pastor, Outreach Pastor, and Worship Pastor to:
- Assess Reality (what is our current status; the challenges, gaps, and strengths?)
- Examine Alignment (how are we supporting and achieving our purpose?)
- Develop Strategy (how can we better produce lives changed by Christ as we gather, grow, go?)
- Foster Collaboration (where can we work together?)
This is a full-time position with benefits.
GENERAL MINISTRY RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Congregational Care Pastor will supervise the Congregational Care Associate, the Congregational Care Director, and the Congregational Care Administrator.
- As a team builder and team player, the Care Pastor will lead the Congregational Care Team to encourage and equip the congregation to care for each other.
- The Care Pastor will coordinate with the Deacons in care-related ministries such as jobs, benevolence, funerals.
- The Congregational Care Pastor will serve as a member of the Strategy Team that coordinates the fulfillment of “producing lives changed by Christ as we Gather, Grow, and Go.”
- The Congregational Care Pastor will conduct funerals, perform weddings, teach Formation groups, conduct seminars, and provide short-term counseling, as needed.
- Character that is “above reproach” in keeping with the Elder qualifications set forth in 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1 and 1 Peter 5.
- A heart of compassion and the skills to care for people in need.
- Leadership qualities that strike a healthy balance between being directive and being a team builder.
- A self-starter with an ability to assess the past and present but also to step toward the future through innovation and implementation.
- Significant ministry experience. Five or more years of pastoral staff experience is preferred.
- Education with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field. A graduate degree is preferred.
Please attach or send a cover letter and your résumé to:
Mail: Cypress Bible Church
Attn: Cathy Wactor
11711 Cypress N. Houston Rd.
Cypress, TX 77429
Congregational Care Pastor
Purpose: Oversee the Care area of CBC’s ministry to ensure that help is provided for those who look to CBC in times of need or crisis.
Reports: To the Senior Pastor
I. Gathering for life-changing Worship
- Be available to address requests for resources, counseling or crisis during worship services..
- Work with the Equipping Pastor to ensure that a medical response team is available for medical emergencies or needs.
II. Growing through life-changing Truth
- Provide short term pastoral counseling and/or direct counselees to other resources.
- Oversee and participate in the visitation of CBC’s hospitalized and homebound.
- Serve as "First Responder" when a death/crisis occurs.
- Provide or ensure pre-marital counseling for couples being married at CBC.
- Conduct funerals and weddings in coordination with other Staff Pastors.
- Provide guidance for congregational and community benevolence needs.
- Serve as a resource for Formation Groups and leaders.
- Oversee the collection and distribution of congregational prayer requests.
III. Going in life-changing Mission
- Intentionally share the gospel in the course of ministering to those in need.
- Counsel or mentor CBC’s missionaries, as needed.
IV. Ministry Support
- Lead the congregational care team
- Oversee care ministries such as Grief Share, The Gathering, and the provision of need-based seminars and workshops.
- Coordinate with the Deacons in care-related ministries such as jobs, benevolence, funerals.
- Utilize or create systems to manage and train those who minister in care.
- Serve as a resource to the staff for counseling and care needs.
- Participate as a member of the Strategic Team, led by the Senior Pastor.
- Network with Care Pastors of local churches and community organizations.
- Character traits as set forth in 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1, and 1 Peter 5.
- Seminary degree from a reputable institution.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Scripture with ability to apply biblical wisdom to care situations.
- A passion for ministering to people in times of need or crisis.
- Demonstrated skill in counseling
- A self-starter with ability to assess the past and present, and to motivate others to step forward into the future.