This role directs Student Ministries as well as creates and develops opportunities for community life throughout Saraland United Methodist Church.
- A strong personal relationship with Jesus Christ; clear evidence of exemplifying Christ-like behavior both inside and outside the work setting.
- An entrepreneurial spirit with a natural inclination to take initiative, to explore new possibilities, and to engage and recruit students, parents, and volunteers.
- Completion, or near completion, of a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Prior leadership experience within a church or parachurch ministry setting.
- Comfort in leading both large and small group events, organizing and mentoring volunteers, and speaking and teaching in public.
- Attention to quality and detail in communications and organizational skills.
- Professional references, background check, and drug test required.
- Weekly Schedule:
- Full time, generally Sundays through Thursdays.
- The nature of the position requires being available for special events and programs, as well as other special needs of the church, which sometimes occur on weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Assigned Tasks:
- Student Ministry: Oversee outreach and discipleship of students in grades 6-12. This position requires abilities to recruit and mentor adult leaders, communicate with parents, manage a budget, provide organization and communication for all events
and studies, and develop both “deep and wide” ministries (taking students deeper in discipleship while also reaching more students who may be inactive or unconnected to church).
- Community Life: Create and organize exciting opportunities to develop community throughout the church, including both large group opportunities and small groups.
- General Tasks: This position creates opportunities to participate throughout the life of the church, including assisting the senior pastor in leading on Sunday morning worship, preaching, teaching, and visitation.
- Continuing Education: The person who has an entrepreneurial spirit will seek out workshops, conferences, training, relationships, and resources to grow in their ministry and leadership skills. Growing in experience and knowledge is an expectation, and continuing
education funds are provided.
- All other tasks as assigned by the senior pastor.
- The senior pastor meets weekly with all staff to provide oversight and direction as part of a team approach to ministry.
- The Staff Parish Committee, along with the senior pastor, provides regular accountability and an annual evaluation for all staff and leadership.
About Saraland UMC
Saraland UMC has deep roots in reaching the people of Saraland since its founding in the 1950s. Saraland is a small suburban residential community with one of the top ten public school systems in Alabama. Many people in our community work
in factories located to our north, while others work to the south in locations such as the port or city of Mobile, or across the Mobile Bay. The city of Saraland is located approximately 10 minutes from Mobile and approximately one hour from the beaches.
Saraland UMC currently sees 200 in worship on Sunday mornings in two distinct styles, including contemporary at 10:30am and traditional at 8:30am. Student Ministries meet on both Sunday nights and Wednesday nights. Other ministries of the
church include Celebrate Recovery, Boy Scouts, a very strong weekday Early Learning Center, and extensive outreach ministries to our community.
Some philosophies that set our church apart include our team-based approach to ministry. Saraland UMC’s teams, rather than committees, serve throughout the life of the church. Our mission statement, “People helping people love and serve Jesus,”
highlights our three core values: Growing in Community, Growing in Worship, and Growing in Service. We seek to grow and disciple all followers of Jesus in these three areas, helping people learn to connect, to worship, and to serve. Currently the church is
undergoing renovation of its entire campus and a redesign of its branding and communications for the purpose of taking seriously the Great Commission and reaching a new generation for Jesus Christ.
About the Pastor
Dr. Mike Hoppe joined the Saraland UMC family in 2013. Mike is married to Reed, and together they have two young children. He has served churches in Ohio, Pennsylvania, the country of Kazakhstan, and in Alabama prior to joining our team. He graduated from
Ohio Northern University (BA), Princeton Seminary (MDiv), and Asbury Seminary (DMin). Mike’s vision for Saraland UMC is to become a vibrant disciple-making community with a genuine desire to reach its community and develop authentic disciples for Christ. In
order to live-out this vision, Mike loves creative ideas, out-of-the-box thinking, taking risks for the sake of mission, and creating a cohesive team-based approach to ministry. Mike loves running and hiking and hanging out with his great family.