All Souls Church is a warm and vibrant non-denominational community in the heart of downtown Knoxville, Tennessee.
We seek the peace of the city. God called the Hebrew people in Jeremiah 29:7 to “seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.” The Hebrew word for
welfare is shalom, which holds within it the ideas of peace, harmony, wholeness, completeness, prosperity, welfare, and tranquility. Isaiah described the place with shalom as having joy, health, economic opportunity, flourishing children, spiritual vitality,
reconciliation, unity, and safety (Isaiah 65:17–25). Jesus talked of shalom many times, calling it the kingdom of God and the kingdom of heaven. We long to see shalom come to Knoxville, the place where we live, work, and play. You can learn more about us
All Souls Church is seeking a Pastor of Worship and the Arts to oversee all elements of worship and the arts within All Souls, to foster a worshiping community committed to the idea that all beauty points us toward God and toward the goodness within
our fellow sojourners, and to support and pastor the worshiper and the artist on their journey as Christ-seekers and peace-keepers.
I. The Pastor of Worship and the Arts crafts each worship service, including holy day and other special services. The Pastor oversees and coordinates all details of the services: plans and prepares all elements of worship (music, liturgy,
art, and sacred space), blending ancient and contemporary music, liturgy, and art; brings together word, spirit, and sacrament; fosters a sense of mystery and awe; and invokes the presence of God among us. This work is done in keeping with the vision and values
of All Souls Church and the worship philosophy, values, and ethos described in the All Souls Worship Handbook.
II. The Pastor of Worship and the Arts builds, leads, and pastors teams that together execute each service, including the technical engineer as well as servant volunteers (e.g. musicians, artists, readers, prayer leaders, communion servers,
ushers, setup/teardown teams, etc.).
III. The Pastor of Worship and the Arts integrates music and the arts into our community life at All Souls, pastors the worshipper and the artist, and creatively supports music and the arts as avenues for seeking the peace of our city.
IV. The Pastor of Worship and the Arts carries out the administrative and technical tasks associated with communications, scheduling, and resourcing worship/the arts at All Souls.
- Commitment to consensual orthodoxy and to the mission, vision, and worship philosophy of All Souls Church
- Passion to seek the peace of the city and support a worshipping community
- A heart for the spiritual formation of worshipers, artists, and servant volunteers in the worship ministry
- Preferably 5 years’ experience in role(s) requiring demonstrated skills in worship design, such as music, liturgy, and art; selecting, training, and leading servant volunteers; and pastoring teams and individuals
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred
- Ordination, certification in worship leadership, or commensurate experience in worship preparation and leadership
- Background in and/or an appreciation for performance, visual, and literary arts
- Background in Christian theological studies preferred
- Demonstrated excellence as a worship leader preferred
- Demonstrated ability to play one or more instruments, arrange/transpose music, create chord charts, preferred
- Demonstrated familiarity with wide range of musical genres and styles
- Demonstrated technical skills (lighting, sound, projection; computers; and applications)
- Relational skills and an enthusiastic presence for leading worship
- A team player with a positive attitude
- Administrative competency (plan development and implementation, organization, time management, attention to detail, information management)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written)
Application & Inquiry Process
The search committee formed to carry out this search fully respects the need for confidentiality of information supplied by interested parties and assure them that their backgrounds and interests will not be discussed with anyone beyond the committee without
prior consent, nor will reference contacts be
made until mutual interest has been established. If you think you might be the person we’re looking for, please provide a cover letter and comprehensive resume/CV. If available, please also include a video or YouTube/Vimeo link of you leading worship.
In the cover letter, and considering what you have learned about All Souls from any personal research you may have conducted, please describe what specifically attracts you to this position and how your experience, talents, and skills are a match for our
position. Also, please provide a minimum of five references (including at least two subordinates, a supervisor or overseer, and a peer). Include telephone and email information for each reference; we will not contact references until later in the process
and only with your approval.
When writing the resume/CV, be mindful that substance is of more interest than brevity. Give enough information so that the breadth and substance of your ministry experience is understood. When describing your work at each relevant position, it would be
helpful for us to know factors influencing your call to this particular church/ministry, total membership and worship style of the church/ministry, size of the staff and how you fit into the team, leadership responsibilities (staff and/or volunteer), specific
responsibilities, highlights of your ministry, factors influencing your consideration to leave this church/ministry for another call.
Review of applications will begin on November 6, 2017. Please send all of the above to
firstname.lastname@example.org. The best way to contact us with any questions is via e-mail.